• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric fuel pump surging

diesel_lv

Local time
10:46 PM
Reaction score
1967 Coronet, 383/496, Fitech FI w 340lph inline fuel pump, return line to tank and internal return line to opposite corner of tank as pickup all 3/8 line. 122° outside air temp yesterday, engine running at 210°. Feel engine surging then dies. Turn of, turn on n crank, no start. Try for 30 minutes w 5 minutes in between for cooling. Hear whistling from fuel tank and open gas cap. Fuel gushes out and massive air pressure pushing out. Try to start again for about 20 minutes, still no start. Leave car for 3 hours, come back and starts right up and makes it home. Fitech, last week, had said that the inline fuel pump may be overheating when it shut off but restarted multiple times last weekend. A couple questions, 1: does this sound right? 2: does the '67 b-body have a vented or non vented tank,. 3: does it sound like I wasted $550 for new tank and inline pump, that was only option when I purchased. Now, for approx $580 Aeromotive has ready to run tank w built in hi pressure hi volume fuel pump. Thanks for any input.

Your tank should be vented. Did you install vent lines when you installed the tank? Are you running a vented gas cap?
These symptoms are, IMHO, absolutely signs of a non-vented tank.

Your tank should be vented. Did you install vent lines when you installed the tank? Are you running a vented gas cap?
These symptoms are, IMHO, absolutely signs of a non-vented tank.
New stock style tank, no vent lines on it. Gas cap has no spring, venting hole, just snug fit rubber gasket type cap that was on it when I I inherited it from my Great grandmother. I'll try a vented cap and see if that helps before I spend a ton on new tank/pump. Curious why no vent lines or vented cap originally. Is it because of the fuel injection now? Thanks

the fitech fi have had a lot of problems with heat do to the e c u is in the throttle body unit. put a 1/4 wood spacer in to help keep the throttle body cooler. if it contusions you may have to warranty the unit but use the spacer on the new one.

the fitech fi have had a lot of problems with heat do to the e c u is in the throttle body unit. put a 1/4 wood spacer in to help keep the throttle body cooler. if it contusions you may have to warranty the unit but use the spacer on the new one.
Already have a 1/4 inch delrin plastic spacer, zero heat transfer, but I'm thinking these things aren't designed for anything above 110°. Poor design, o don't want to drive part time.

Already have a 1/4 inch delrin plastic spacer, zero heat transfer, but I'm thinking these things aren't designed for anything above 110°. Poor design, o don't want to drive part time.

yes temp with fitech has a lot of complaints for hot no start . look on you tube Nashville early bronco very good vid's. that is why i bought the pro-flow 4 xt he switched over from fitech due to problems

New stock style tank, no vent lines on it. Gas cap has no spring, venting hole, just snug fit rubber gasket type cap that was on it when I I inherited it from my Great grandmother. I'll try a vented cap and see if that helps before I spend a ton on new tank/pump. Curious why no vent lines or vented cap originally. Is it because of the fuel injection now? Thanks
Fuel injection absolutely needs a vented tank. Also, any factory system which included a return line would, at the very least, have a vented cap.
Try the vented cap first. There are ways to vent a non-vented tank without replacing it.

yes temp with fitech has a lot of complaints for hot no start . look on you tube Nashville early bronco very good vid's. that is why i bought the pro-flow 4 xt he switched over from fitech due to problems
I've checked out his videos. Unfortunately when I bought my system, bought parts and put on shelf as i had money, Fitech was the only "self learning". Huge waste of money if heat hurts them. But i will try vented cap 1st

Well i finally got it solved. Fuel pump was overheating and causing serious vapor lock. Vented cap did not help. I could hear fuel pump run but quietly for about 30 minutes each time I attempted to start. Then it would slowly start to get louder. Found out that when it was quiet, it was pushing air. Then as it got louder, it was pushing fuel until finally it would start. About 45 minutes on average. Replaced with Aeromotive tank w built in pump. No issues at all anymore.

Auto Transport Service
Back