• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric water pump and power steering?

493 Mike

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:19 AM
Reaction score
I would like to run a Meziere water pump with a Saginaw PS pump. Bouchillon tells me: no dice. "Electric W.P.s are for race cars and race cars don't use P.S." Does anyone have experience in this matter that they would share? Thanks guys!

You can fabricate anything. I've had several mish-mashed setups on various cars and engine setups. Some worked....some didn't. I had 4 complete systems on one car.[GRRRR]

It may well come to custom fabrication. I was hoping to save some time. Thanks!
Mike

I would like to run a Meziere water pump with a Saginaw PS pump. Bouchillon tells me: no dice. "Electric W.P.s are for race cars and race cars don't use P.S." Does anyone have experience in this matter that they would share? Thanks guys!

Find a better supplier. All sorts of street cars use electric water pumps. As for racing, just about every nascar car uses power steering, and you'll break your fingers if you try a 600 hp. 4 wheel drive rally car without it. Not really required for drag racing, I guess.

Traditionally power steering is not used in drag cars because you don't need power steering to go in a straight line. The most important reason is because power steering takes horsepower just as belt driven water pumps take horsepower. For drag racing you can keep your electric water pump on after a pass to cool the car down quickly.
I'm sure a lot of guys have had their electric water pumps for a long time. One major mfg. advertizes 2500+ hours life expectancy. My personal racing experience says that's a bit optimistic.

493mike no problem with power steering using the Meziere water pump...just use the stock style Housing with there Mopar Pump...Power steering pump then goes in the stock location...Yes this bolts in the stock location !!

aaa pump.jpg

I think your just showing off the engine.......which I cant blame ya!!!

Sounds like pie in the sky. Like overflow tanks on 65's. Or aluminum (ah lew min E uuuuumm) radiators. Let the "new" technology digest for a while before grabbing it.

Thanks fellas for the suggestions. That engine is very nice looking and in an early B!
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back