• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electrical help please

Loulang

Local time
5:55 PM
Reaction score
Little info: 1966 Dodge Charger 383 with Holley sniper efi. I have all new wiring inside and out. Previous wiring was all jacked up. It does have a electronic distributor. Alternator is a 2 field alternator and I have ran a wire inside the ballast resistor for my constant hot for ignition sniper wire. What do I do with the other open field on the alternator? Thanks for the help in advance I am dumb when it comes to electrical, this build is for my dad and the good memories I have as a child in his orange 66(pic included) mine is purple. He is no longer with me anymore and I sure wish I could have his advice but this forum is the next best thing so thanks again everyone that has helped me on this build and there’s been a lot

78669834-C422-4EF0-9FAD-AC5D48C2F406.jpeg

3845D263-2DA5-485A-98E5-63AA4F3B0BE7.jpeg

38CFF596-CB34-4510-89A9-1ADA2B5D9C7E.jpeg

968EF35B-9F42-4724-B28D-AF864B7CD445.jpeg

F222C601-C552-4500-AD32-1D6D28AB3613.jpeg

I have a 66 Coronet with the 361, essentially the same setup ( but almost original wiring under the hood).
I replacer my alternator during a rebuild...I think that it gets grounded.

That's what I did.....it won't charge otherwise

I hope this helps

I have a 66 Coronet with the 361, essentially the same setup ( but almost original wiring under the hood).
I replacer my alternator during a rebuild...I think that it gets grounded.

That's what I did.....it won't charge otherwise

I hope this helps

At first the battery voltage slowly was dropping and I noticed that the wiring to voltage reg and ign ballast was wrong according to my wiring diagram so I switched it and then I noticed that my dumbass had the brown washer pump wire hooked to the 2nd field wire so now there is no wire going to it. I read to ground it also but I just like to double check because I do not wanna fry this harness. That’s what happened when I first bought the car. The bulkhead had 2 wires fried. So I’ve done all new wiring harness inside and out

Ground the other field terminal to the alternator case=done deal.
Look at the terminal, there should be a plastic insulator under it. Remove the retaining screw, pull the insulator out and screw the terminal back down so that it contacts the metal case. Sometimes you have to fold it over with a pair of pliers first, no big deal.
Nice looking cars!

Ground the other field terminal to the alternator case=done deal.
Look at the terminal, there should be a plastic insulator under it. Remove the retaining screw, pull the insulator out and screw the terminal back down so that it contacts the metal case. Sometimes you have to fold it over with a pair of pliers first, no big deal.
Nice looking cars!
Thanks

I hate typing wish I could talk to someone that really knows these electrical systems because I have some questions about this wiring to the ballast and regulator before I turn the key so I know I’m not gonna fry a $400 dollar harness or possibly the $700 dash harness.

Auto Transport Service
Back