• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electrical help

rrTor-Red

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:05 PM
Reaction score
Just fired up my engine and "working the bugs". The car is a '71, EVERYTHING in engine bay is new: wiring, starter relay, voltage regulator, alt (Powermaster). Car started up but alt gauge needle shows on the discharge side. I traced all wires and are fine. I'm leaning towards either voltage reg or alternator possibly. Am I missing something? Anyone have suggestions?

Also, does the voltage regulator needs to be grounded? If it does, put a ground strap to it or scrape paint off?

Thanks

Voltage regulator needs to be grounded. I would add a ground strap, but it may not look original?

Voltage regulator needs to be grounded. I would add a ground strap, but it may not look original?
check the alternator,battery,voltage regulator.grounds,if they checkout good then pull your eng harness and checked for burnt terminal on harness that was my problem a few weeks ago,i replaced harness and replaced terminal and cut some wire,its back to normal.

I would use a meter to see what your charging system is putting out. I don't trust the cluster ammeters much.
I ran ground wires to all of the electronic components rather than trusting the sheetmetal continuity. Try jumping the regulator to ground to see if it changes.

I have a ground from the block to VR. I'm thinking maybe the surface of the VR to the firewall(?) but I'll look at it. I'm going to my car soon so I can take a pix. It looks like factory, actually.

I forgot to mention, I don't have points. I have a rev limiter, this one, actually.
http://www.4secondsflat.com/Ignition.html

Auto Transport Service
Back