• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electronic ignition conversion

DownZero

Local time
12:06 AM
Reaction score
I've searched but not finding exactly what I want. I have a stock 383 with points distributor. I would like to convert to electronic ignition but I want to remain somewhat stock looking. Really don't want a big old MSD box under the hood. Is there a preferred conversion kit that the brain trust from here can recommend?

If you have the original points distributor you can fit a Pertronix Ignitor.
They work well provided the distributor is not flogged out in the shaft bushes and advance mechanism.

We're converting my '63 MW project to an MSD ignition. Mounting the box under the dash, with all original components in place under the hood. New wiring will be taped to harnesses to conceal. I would have liked to found an original distributor, with a cable drive for the tach, but after 5 years I'm getting tired of looking for parts on this. Just going with an Old School looking, easy hook up on that...

I'm a fan of Pertronix. Have run them in 6 of my cars. And I use the Ignitor I Plain and simple. Looks like factory stock.
IMG_0836.jpg

Think I'm gonna go with the pertronix. What coil should I go with since the ballast resistor will be bypassed?

There are 3 models of Pertronix. Choose the model you want and fit the appropriate spec coil.

I am a big fan of the petronix I also seems the 2 and 3 fail on occasion.

The Pertronix Flame Thrower 1.5 ohm coil will do the job.

Love Pertronix!!! I have the II in my Belvedere and the III in my GTX. I prefer the III because it has an easy to set rev limiter, multispark and doesn't require the special hall effect to work.

Either one will bolt in easily to your distributor. Use the Flamethrower coil they recommend. Bypass the ballast resistor. Add a solid state version of the black voltage regulator (found mine on ebay).

Love Pertronix!!! I have the II in my Belvedere and the III in my GTX. I prefer the III because it has an easy to set rev limiter, multispark and doesn't require the special hall effect to work.

Either one will bolt in easily to your distributor. Use the Flamethrower coil they recommend. Bypass the ballast resistor. Add a solid state version of the black voltage regulator (found mine on ebay).

Checking Jegs, this is what I think I need: (correct me if I'm wrong)
1381A igniter and 40011 coil. Is the voltage regulator change required also?

The voltage regulator is part of the charging system.
No need to change that if it is all working correctly.

Just got the ignitor1 with 1.5 ohm coil. Directions are somewhat misleading about the ballast resistor. Is it the consensus here that the resistor must be bypassed?

Just got the ignitor1 with 1.5 ohm coil. Directions are somewhat misleading about the ballast resistor. Is it the consensus here that the resistor must be bypassed?
You still run the ballast with the ignitor 1, you don't need it with 2&3

Auto Transport Service
Back