• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Embarasing Question

Andew Sury

Local time
7:13 PM
Reaction score
Ok, how the hell do you get the oil filter out of a 67 Hemi GTX? It is off, but it seems either the fan needs to come off or remove the return line from the trans cooler? Am I missing it ir just bad engineering. Has power steering.

I hear ya. Unless someone put a over size filter on it should come out the bottom.Usually you can push the lower rad hose enough to fight it out. Messy job for sure.

Something is in the wrong place, like the cooler line? The trans cooler line shouldn't be in the way. Pics?

I don't have original trans cooler lines so out the bottom? I remove PS pump without disconnect anything. Set it off to the side while changing filter.

You might have to have your fan blade turned where it lets you get the filter back far enough to turn and drop out.

I know my fabricated fan shroud gets in the way a bit. My trans line has a offset in it.

While were on the subject, here's a catch can that you can make out of a gallon jug.
20170711_104004.jpg
20170711_103824.jpg
20170711_103811.jpg
20170711_103733.jpg

I learned something today to change the oil on a hemi set aside a few hours !

There’s idiocies on all Ma Mopars cars. This appears to be another one. I’ve had several on my X that leave me scratching my head saying - who the heck engineered that? Never worked on a Hemi so I’m not familiar with changing the oil filter.

There’s idiocies on all Ma Mopars cars. This appears to be another one. I’ve had several on my X that leave me scratching my head saying - who the heck engineered that? Never worked on a Hemi so I’m not familiar with changing the oil filter.

Try working on today's cars! :lol:

Pictures of 66. Note sway bar! My routing of cooler lines below filter. Sway bar is the problem. MO.
pow2.jpg
pow1.jpg
pow1.jpg
pow2.jpg

Yes sir next oil change. Bought 4 Fram HP-1's around 14 years ago. Car sat for 9 years knees and dislocated ankle kept me from changing a bad master cylinder.

Well, the Fram HP 1 is the only Fram I'll use.

Auto Transport Service
Back