• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Emergency brake 1970 Roadrunner

DWoody

Local time
7:03 PM
Reaction score
I was going to work on a 1970 Roadrunner emergency brake, it has the foot set & pull release. Pushing the foot pedal, it goes to the floor and comes back, no clicking, doesn't set. Pushing down on the hand pull release lever, with your foot, it sets something and then the foot pedal will click and engage properly. The pull lever is all bent up from stepping on it, I think I need to take the whole assembly out to figure out what is wrong with it. Any suggestions on what my problem could be or how to attack the removal of the assembly?

Show us some photos of the 'bent up' release handle first before trying to straighten it - it is meant to be all 'bent up'.....share before you destroy. :lol:

My spring was broken or disconnected on my parking brake handle, meaning that if I pushed the handle in, the pedal locked. But otherwise the parking brake engaged when stepped on, and released when the foot was removed. I liked it like that, it was great for parking brake slides in corners. :)

If you like doing "bootlegger 180" turns, leave the handle as-is on the Parking Brake. You just kick it, skid the tires, turn the wheel and it releases on it's own. Mine does the same because the spring that pulls the release handle is gone.
If you ever are relying on the Parking brake to help in an emergency, I hope that you don't have people or solid objects in your way. It is piss poor in an emergency.

Wound up taking mine out and working on it.
It was a rusty mess and did the same thing yours is doing. All parts were there, they were
just sorta bent here and there where previous owners had wrangled 'em in the past.
Liberal doses of penetrating oil, studying the FSM (factory service manual - a real live
original paperback one I've had for years for the Dodge b-bodies, complete with previous
owner notes scribbled in it here and there), straightening stuff and wala - it works.

I'm still dubious of it, though. I always leave the car in gear, too, just in case.

Can you at least post a pic you what you have? It would greatly help to guide you on the next step...

The release handle is supposed to be straight from the grommet back with a short jog from the grommet forward to basically give the little handle some clearance from the kick panel. The grommet needs to be in decent shape to retain the spring. Then there's the mechanism itself which could be rusted up. Removal is easy enough BUT requires access behind the fender slash shield to get at the nuts.

Show us some photos of the 'bent up' release handle first before trying to straighten it - it is meant to be all 'bent up'.....share before you destroy. :lol:
Here is what it looks like......

2019-10-09 10.47.43.jpg 2019-10-09 10.47.36.jpg

That spring is now on the wrong side of the rod - probably because the grommet is toast - even if you straightened the rod its still screwed up.

That spring is now on the wrong side of the rod - probably because the grommet is toast - even if you straightened the rod its still screwed up.
The worn out bushing is still on the rod but should be in the metal tab, holding the spring back, ok thank you.

The pull lever is all bent up from stepping on it,
You weren't kidding that is was bent, lol. Probably would be easiest to find a different rod.

Auto Transport Service
Back