• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Employee Morale Downer

Dibbons

Local time
12:58 PM
Reaction score
A friend posted this on Facebook:

"Nothing will destroy a great employee faster than watching your employer tolerate and reward the bad ones."

quit.jpeg

That and people taking credit for the work I do.

Once asked a boss why I shouldn't be paid more. I never missed a shift, never called in sick, always did my best, but was paid the same as coworkers who were not as conscientious.

He said: If you quit tomorrow, I had you, a more valuable employee for over a year, at a low wage. I saved all of those wages. With luck, the person who replaces you will also be a good employee and they will stay for over a year.

My wife needed some extensive dental work. The credit union where I worked allowed one to cash in vacation pay in the event of an emergency. I applied for the withdrawal under those conditions because the dentist needed a down payment. My request was denied. So I quit and they had to pay me the vacation pay I had asked for anyway on the spot. Ha, Ha!

I went to work the next week at another credit union and before long was promoted to "head teller" and made more money than at the previous credit union. The Credit Union that I left had to find, hire and train another employee to replace me (and I was one damn good employee). And I was the most experienced teller who did the training! It never made any sense to me.

toothache.jpeg

Last edited:
Union environment = herd mentality ... productivity will not exceed the worst employee's output.

My wife was a very conscientious day-care worker who brought up problems as they arose to management. Eventually, she was fired for being a "trouble maker" and her unemployment insurance benefits were denied.

She appealed the unemployment denial and there was a hearing. I represented my wife and the lady that fired her represented the day-care center. The arbiter ruled in our favor and re-instated the unemployment benefits. Hooray!

Last edited:
I was making like $2.25 hour in Sacramento at a box company. The owner hired a guy on probation. The guy was very enthusiastic about having a job and I was the person who took the time and effort to train him. Next thing I know, he got fired. The owner told me he was tired of doing the extra paper work required for the guys probation officer or something to that effect. I don't know the specifics he used to "justify" the firing. I quit to show my support for the guy on probation and to teach the owner a lesson about abusing low-wage employees.

The owner had previously told me I was getting a raise, but did not tell me how much. Turns out it was raised to $2.30 an hour-only five cents!

I was working as a security guard (nights) at an apartment complex in San Diego. I asked for Easter Week off so that I could make a field trip to Havana, Cuba. I considered this to be a once in a lifetime chance. I was a Spanish major at a San Diego community college and this excursion was going to be the basis/research for my oral presentation for my then current cultural geography class. My request for time off was denied.

I travelled to Cuba anyway. When I came back, they said I did not work there any longer having considered me having quit. Now they had to hire and train someone else for no good reason (I had six years state and federal law enforcement experience and no way were they going to replace me with someone who had like experience and qualifications).

I was an employee at a large silicon valley based semiconductor company that is no longer in business (acquired).
One thing I learned quickly was the employees that told their managers what they wanted to hear were the most seccussful. Total lies that it seemed every one knew was not true seemed to be the norm. I worked in three divisions of this company and noticed every department had about 20% totally dead weight that made no contribution whatsoever and just talked their way through status meetings and enjoyed their 2 to 3 hour lunches and flying out for their training seminars and convention while I was putting in the 10 to 12 hour days.
It's unfortunate for me that I have to look myself in the mirror and always give 110% at work. I can tell you that has had a negative impact on my career. Many a former colleague has become a senior manager, executive, or retired early from large stock options and bonuses, while I have maintained "working for a living" mid level jobs.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this is the way of corporate America. I always give new grads advice that total honestly and hard work do not advance a career. It is a moral choice, and I do not judge the "fast trackers" that make the choice of seccussful careers.

Once asked a boss why I shouldn't be paid more. I never missed a shift, never called in sick, always did my best, but was paid the same as coworkers who were not as conscientious.

He said: If you quit tomorrow, I had you, a more valuable employee for over a year, at a low wage. I saved all of those wages. With luck, the person who replaces you will also be a good employee and they will stay for over a year.

I hope you quit! That guy sounds like a real bastard.

Says a lot about someone right there.

I was working evenings as a Border Patrol Agent in plain clothes for a four-month period interviewing suspected illegal aliens in jail for criminal offenses. I needed a record for someone under investigation that would only be available during the day-shift or else I would have done the research myself.

So I left a polite note with the information I was needing in the mail drawer of a co-worker Border Patrol Agent so he could do me the favor of acquiring the records I needed during the day when I was not on duty. A short period later, I find a note in my own mail drawer: "Do it yourself".

I was an employee at a large silicon valley based semiconductor company that is no longer in business (acquired).
One thing I learned quickly was the employees that told their managers what they wanted to hear were the most seccussful. Total lies that it seemed every one knew was not true seemed to be the norm. I worked in three divisions of this company and noticed every department had about 20% totally dead weight that made no contribution whatsoever and just talked their way through status meetings and enjoyed their 2 to 3 hour lunches and flying out for their training seminars and convention while I was putting in the 10 to 12 hour days.
It's unfortunate for me that I have to look myself in the mirror and always give 110% at work. I can tell you that has had a negative impact on my career. Many a former colleague has become a senior manager, executive, or retired early from large stock options and bonuses, while I have maintained "working for a living" mid level jobs.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this is the way of corporate America. I always give new grads advice that total honestly and hard work do not advance a career. It is a moral choice, and I do not judge the "fast trackers" that make the choice of seccussful careers.
As an attorney, I understood the game, had integrity and worked like a dog, but I also played the system well enough to rise to VP/General Counsel at a top 100 trucking company. I quit when I started having trouble looking in the mirror, and went back to driving a truck.

Last edited:
Years ago we had 8 guys transfer to another dep. These guys had been highly trained. Thousands of dollars invested in them. Spoke to the head of HR at the time. “F them, let them go” he tells me. Management’s attitude isn’t much different. They actually wonder why we can’t find qualified people. Thank God I’m almost done.

Big reason I've been self-employed for half my career.
I'm about a copy of this. Drinking the corporate kool-aide after a while get's as bad as downing da chit you have to drink before a colonoscopy...

There are plenty of good employees in unions.. But theres a ton of dead weight... And the good workers can't do anything about it.... I knew a guy when I was just out of high school.. Useless, didn't want to put out any more effort than he had to... Got on at the big local winery (Gallo) only book I ever saw him study was the union rule book... He pushed every loophole to the point the union rep told him if he missed another hour the rep couldn't defend him, he'd be fired.... He straightened up just enough to keep his job & the next year he ran for & got elected to the union rep position... Spent over thirty years at it... And he's still a worthless POS...

I had a union job for about two & a half months, quit just before I had to join the union... Found out the retirement fund account had been embezzled... Guys had paid into it for years, nothing left for them...

Auto Transport Service
Back