• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eng paint.

383man

Local time
6:40 AM
Reaction score
I noticed the paint on my intake is starting to peel some. I painted the eng with Hemi Orange Dupli-Color spray paint in 2011 when the eng went in the car. I tried spraying the spray paint in the lid and touchng it up with a brush bit it also peels. So I found a hobby shop near my house with tons of model touch up brush paint and I found some to match my eng paint. Well I used it about a month ago and it went on thicker and is holding up great. Here is a before and after pic as this paint I found in the hobby shop works great and I use a brush to put it on. It really helped in keeping the paint on the eng to keep it looking good. Ron

412332920.jpg

What was the color called that you found at the hobby shop ?

When painting aluminum, you need to use an etching primer for proper adhesion.

I just painted my cast iron heads recently and I had left some of the old blue paint on them. Well the orange I used didn't like that. Bubbled up like paint stripper! There's so many factors involved it painting...

By the way, looks good! Have you made any passes with it this year?

Thanks guys. I dont know how heat resistant that paint is but I have been driving it for about a month and so far its holding up good. When the intake started to peel I was so mad about it I thought about pulling the eng just to detail it and repaint it. But this paint has worked nice so far that as long as it holds up I wont pull the eng for now.
I have not been to the track this year at all but I hope to go on June the 11th to a Nostalgia show and race. Course it depends on the weather also as its been raining so much here in Md I just hope we can get a good weekend for once with no rain. Ron

That refreshed paint on your motor looks great. Glad to know what you did to keep the look. I may be in for the same deal when mine gets to that point. I won't have the knowledge or luxury to pull the motor just to detail it. Touch up like yours is a good alternative.

Oh I forgot that the color says "Sunburst" on the little paint bottle that matches up very close. Ron

Paint requires adhesion, either chemical or mechanical. Chemical is etch, mechanical is sand stratch.

IF ANYBODY IS LOOKING FOR GOOD ENGINE PAINT, TRY LOOKING AT BILL HIRSH PRODUCTS. POR 15 PRODUCTS HAS GOOD PAINT ALSO.

Auto Transport Service
Back