• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Bay Paint

FlagCraig

Local time
5:28 AM
Reaction score
When did Chrysler start painting the engine bays the same color as the body?

Or have they always done that? My Challenger is paint same.

I am looking at a B Body 66 and 67 and the bay is not painted same color as body. The bays are black.

Thanks.

Great move on Chrysler's part. The cars look so much better with body color bays.

When did Chrysler start painting the engine bays the same color as the body?

Or have they always done that? My Challenger is paint same.

I am looking at a B Body 66 and 67 and the bay is not painted same color as body. The bays are black.

Thanks.
Yup, someone painted the 66 and 67 black which is incorrect if you're looking for correctness. I'm getting older and black bays are not helping me to see things very easily especially when the engine is also black like on our 2000 Durango. Need lots of light now for that lol. Btw, the Durango has black body color too. I'm thinking of painting my 66 Belvedere metallic blue with silver engine bay with a black bottom and silver accents. Might do a blue engine but the jury is still out on that. I'm a firm believer in doing them like you want to.....

You can always tell a non mopar guy with a black engine bay lmao even the rattiest car would not paint the bay black. Mine was black too when I got it and these guys claimed to have been mopar guys with a belvy sitting in the yard, think it was the parts car for my 69 lol first thing I did after brining her home and pulling the 383 out was paint the bay. Lessoned learned should have replace the k member and the steering box as well as rebuilt the steering column and added the power brake system then as well as a ton of other stuff!

Some early '60s Mopars had black inner fenders, but they were a separate part and not intregral like the A, B, E, and later C-body cars. Like said above, it's nearly always a Chevy guy, or someone just too damn lazy to do it right; that paints the inner fenders black on a car that is NOT black to start with.

C'mon guys, it may be correct to paint them body color but what's wrong with black (mines body color FYI). I think to each their own.

DSC08114.jpg
Some early '60s Mopars had black inner fenders, but they were a separate part and not intregral like the A, B, E, and later C-body cars. Like said above, it's nearly always a Chevy guy, or someone just too damn lazy to do it right; that paints the inner fenders black on a car that is NOT black to start with.

I wouldn't call myself a Chevy guy for anything, I wasn't lazy, in 1977 I was 18 and have you seen the factory paint jobs under these Mopar hoods? Black looked just fine at the time. I think you'll be happy to know that I have been removing that rattle can Black from under the hood for about two weeks now. My original paint is FK5 on a 70 Charger. It's starting to look much better don't you think?

In my case I haven't any choice the paint code is BB1, but by the time the 500 inch cross ram maxi motor is in and all the bells, whistles, widgets and gadgets installed it should look "SWEET" - "DUDE"!!!!

Black inner fenders on a Mopar that is not black is wrong and looks wrong.

when chrysler went to uni-bodies in '62 the engine bays were painted the body color. trunks weren't body color until '66.

In my case I haven't any choice the paint code is BB1, but by the time the 500 inch cross ram maxi motor is in and all the bells, whistles, widgets and gadgets installed it should look "SWEET" - "DUDE"!!!!

Black is the new black in my book!

Black over black on black with a few extra touches of black added. When done with that, add massive amounts of chrome!

The engines look better too the same color as the body, but that was cost prohibitive.

Black is the new black in my book!

Black over black on black with a few extra touches of black added. When done with that, add massive amounts of chrome!

With the engine color orange with the black engine bay instead of chrome I was thinking dried corn stalks with fuzzy gules and goblins, lining the tops of the inner fenders with bowls of candy kisses and tootsie rolls with the underside perimeter of the hood lined with sequential blinking candy corn lights and fog, the show stopper is a GIANT BLACK WIDOW SPIDER straddling the air cleaners - remember though - only one piece of candy per bag so I will have enough for everybody - Happy Halloween!!! Trick or Treat!!!

Gary

Last edited:
C'mon guys, it may be correct to paint them body color but what's wrong with black (mines body color FYI). I think to each their own.

I agree. It's your car, do what you want with it and don't worry about what others think. I am at the point in my resto on my 72 Runner of considering what color to paint the bay. The car is F7 Green and going to more than likely have a black strobe and modern magnum 500's so if I do black out the bay I believe it will tie in nice. My opinion.

Shoot even chevy guy are painting their engine bays body color now. Guess they want the style of our mopars.

An engine bay painted black is a deal breaker for me. I just seen a dart that was painted under hood with bed liner.

Auto Transport Service
Back