• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Building - Lent free cloth/towel recommendations?

CompSyn

Local time
8:10 AM
Reaction score
In trying to avoid as much"Foreign Matter(FM)" as possible, what do you all use for wiping down, cleaning bearing surfaces, crank journals and the like prior to engine assembly?

I purchase glass quart bottles of wax/grease remover, pour into a spray bottle, and use the auto body shop prep towels to final clean almost everything. The blue towels do not redeposit the oil, grease, wax, and grime. I believe these are different than the blue paper towel rolls you find at AutoZone, etc.

prep towels.jpg

Last edited:
White paper towels and lacquer thinner. Won’t harm the engine a bit. The lint from the paper towels just gets chewed up and dissolves with no ill effects. Cloth rags on the other hand will leave lint that will hang out and cycle through the oil system until it gets trapped in the filter.

Last edited:
Does Acetone make and acceptable cleaner?

I don’t see why it wouldn’t. I’ve just always used thinner. I put it in a old squeeze bottle so it’s easier to manage. Also helps to be super OCD with cleanliness

A4CE04B8-121D-4873-8744-18142D16107D.jpeg

I have a case of kimwipes
lenses, glasses, motors,most anything

Kimwipes/Kimtech is what I ended up going with. Didn't break the bank either. Bought a two pack from Amazon for $10/Shipped. Hopefully this will be enough to get the job done.

Old t shirts work pretty well.

Auto Transport Service
Back