• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Color - your opinion please

GrabberOrange69

Local time
8:31 PM
Reaction score
I'm building a "traditional looking" hot rod engine for my '65 Coronet Wagon (see below) - finned aluminum Edelbrock valve covers, 6 pack with individual finned air cleaners per 2bbl carb on top of a low deck "B". The car is light/med blue metallic. I've been going back and forth on engine color. Do I paint it late Chrysler blue to better match the engine bay? How about the original turquoise, or even orange? Or maybe have some of the same paint as the car mixed up and spray it metallic. I don't care about originality - but what do you think would match the vibe of the car?

Your thoughts are appreciated!

121103_0003.jpg

Damn grabber that's an awesome wagon. I'm painting mine Hemi orange but I have a jet Black car.
If I had your color I'd probably go the the Later Mopar Blue but it's yours so you should paint it the color you like.

Good Luck!

My '67' is the B5 blue and I painted mine Mopar orange so the blues wouldn't clash. Turned out well.

Damn grabber that's an awesome wagon. I'm painting mine Hemi orange but I have a jet Black car.
If I had your color I'd probably go the the Later Mopar Blue but it's yours so you should paint it the color you like.

Good Luck!

...If I had your color I'd probably go the the Later Mopar Blue...Good Luck!

I keep thinking the late blue would look nice too...then I see a turquoise or orange engine and change my mind! That's why I'm asking you guys. It'll help me figure out what I really want...

Thats one badazz wagon regardless of color!

Thats one badazz wagon regardless of color!

Yeah, I agree, with the aluminum VC's and the Six pac, as long as it's kept clean the Blue, turquoise or Orange is going to look awesome. Like I stated before, it's your ride and you should paint it the color YOU like.

The only reason mother mopar did not paint the engine the same color of the car, is because it cost too much. So if you do not care about originality, I would paint it a color that complements the car. But that's just me.

I vote for turquoise as it would look period correct for it. The finned valve covers would really compliment it too.

Nice wagon...I personally like combo colored engines. I usually do either Chrysler red or hemi orange with black heads, though I did at least one turquoise and black. To me the black makes the chrome and aluminum pop out. Just my thoughts...

I keep thinking the late blue would look nice too...then I see a turquoise or orange engine and change my mind! That's why I'm asking you guys. It'll help me figure out what I really want...

Turquoise

- - - Updated - - -

nice car, very cool wagon, any of the colors you mentioned would look just fine

I'd go with black, it would be a better contrast with the alluminum valve covers/intake/air cleaners etc., that would give it more of a hot rod vibe. I've done that to several non-stock Mopars over the years and it looked pretty good.

The only reason mother mopar did not paint the engine the same color of the car, is because it cost too much. So if you do not care about originality, I would paint it a color that complements the car. But that's just me.

I agree, go with the body color.

he said he doesnt care for period correct.

i would definetly go metallic blue same as color of car, would deifinetly make it pop

The vibe of the car to me is that early 60's phase out of the custom car into the muscle car phase, not really custom , not really go fast. With the multi carb and finned covers, I could see an era correct show car gold or copper engine, combined with finned battery top, coil cover, polished radiator top, keeping the show detail to the engine. Something like Barris would have done to a parts chaser at that time. Opinions may vary......

T...era correct show car gold or copper engine, combined with finned battery top...Something like Barris would have done to a parts chaser at that time....

You sir, are a savant. This car was indeed a parts chaser for a local painter that specializes in high end Street Rods a decade ago. The paint is well over 15 years old, but is still a 8 out of 10. He spent some time on it with the flames, but hey - that was his expertise - and it was his personal ride.

And it's gonna have a finned aluminum battery box...As for the gold paint, I hadn't contemplated that before - so I think I'm gonna spray a piece of sheet metal and see what it looks like against the blue metallic. Intriguing...

Auto Transport Service
Back