• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Concerns

Bold & Old

Deceased, But not forgotton
Local time
7:51 PM
Reaction score
Hello guys

My engine and transmission been covered with a couple blankets since the dyno 2 years ago.
3  21 20.jpg

my concerned is if any contaminates such as airborne grinding dust partials that could get into the motors internal some how by just sitting in the same area as the car i am working on?

I do turn to motor daily with socket with ratchet.

Will I need to do a tear down a clean the entire motors internals at this point?

This is a points and condenser engine.

This is critical and don't want to take a chance on ruining the motor.

I would like to fog it........ if it is safe to do so

I want to hear any comments pertaining the engines safety.

Thank you

Nice Hemi sir! Since it's all buttoned up I wouldn't be too concerned about contamimation. I would definitely prime the oil pump and pump oil through the system before I fired it up. 440'

If you are going to start it in the near future then there is no real need now to fog it.

Really, only you know how much stuff has been airborne in the engine area during that time.
Only a blanket covering ? No plastic bag (like the engine builders use for storage?")
If the picture is a true representaion of the 2 year storage and the ends of the exhaust manifolds had at least a rag stuffed into the ends, should not be a problem.

Don't turn it over at all there is no oil anywhere. It is grinding metal to metal.
Prime it then start it.

Don't turn it over at all there is no oil anywhere. It is grinding metal to metal.
Prime it then start it.
Thank you all

The photo of the engine was taken 2 years ago before I covered it..

all that has been said here are good points that will be preform before I fog it.

I would like to say it will be running next year (my goal) but it may be the following year for sure.

I wont start it til its in the car

would you recommend air blowing any particulates off also..... The distributor being of concern?

I am not going to marry the engine to the body until the body is restored....

Thank you for the great feed back.

Really, only you know how much stuff has been airborne in the engine area during that time.
Only a blanket covering ? No plastic bag (like the engine builders use for storage?")
If the picture is a true representaion of the 2 year storage and the ends of the exhaust manifolds had at least a rag stuffed into the ends, should not be a problem.
never thought of the exhaust manifolds exits with rags stuffed.

Might have to pull the exhaust manifolds too.

Thanks for the tip.

Prime it then start it.

Why are you saying no oil (anywhere)?

The breaking oil is still in the crank case from the dyno.

Ok you got me.
No oil anywhere it will do any good.
It has all drained back to the sump. And if you think turning it over will distribute it fully - guess again, especially if you turn by hand it is too slow.
The camshaft and lifters which are the most likely to be damaged are by now totally dry.
There is no oil left to protect them but the valve spring pressure never went anywhere did it.
The best way to store the engine is leave it resting in one place, prime the oil system and start it up.

Ok you got me.
No oil anywhere it will do any good.
It has all drained back to the sump. And if you think turning it over will distribute it fully - guess again, especially if you turn by hand it is too slow.
The camshaft and lifters which are the most likely to be damaged are by now totally dry.
There is no oil left to protect them but the valve spring pressure never went anywhere did it.
The best way to store the engine is leave it resting in one place, prime the oil system and start it up.

First off I don't plan on starting the engine for a year or two in which I did not state..

My main concerns here is the... "particulates"..... that may also harm the engine......

I also have built race engines too....

My engine was built professionally by a well known engine builder in my area.

He recommends priming oil pump then pull the plugs fog it and turning the engine over in the engine rack for 10 second intervals only for 2 minutes to get the oil into the top end galleys where the external pressure gauge is located.

Thank you

Well your only option is to follow his advice then. He I guess did the engine so he will know.
I am sure the engine will run nice and be fine when you get to starting it.

Well your only option is to follow his advice then. He I guess did the engine so he will know.
I am sure the engine will run nice and be fine when you get to starting it.

Thanks Steve

No worries.
I had a 440 sit on an engine stand for 26 years,
in a very busy garage. Finally got to the point
of installing it. Primed and prepped, she fired
off with nary a hitch.

No worries.
I had a 440 sit on an engine stand for 26 years,
in a very busy garage. Finally got to the point
of installing it. Primed and prepped, she fired
off with nary a hitch.

i appreciate your comment......:thumbsup: Thank you.

Nice Hemi sir! Since it's all buttoned up I wouldn't be too concerned about contamimation. I would definitely prime the oil pump and pump oil through the system before I fired it up. 440'

FYI........ update on the Priming the engine again

I again had a talk with my engine builder and he told me that since the engine was broken in before the dyno was preformed the oil pump does "not" require a second priming in a short 2 years span.

Because the new or 2 year old build and all new components.... the oil pump would will not leak off for a very long time.

He suggested pulling the plugs..... fog the cylinders by rolling over engine with a socket with ratchet a couple rotations per cylinder.

Stopping after each cylinder rotation to refog because of each cylinder again to make sure the entire cylinder wall is cover in the special fogging oil.

After that is done it is OK to turn the engine over with battery and starter with short bursts of ten seconds for a total of 2-3 minutes.

I will use a gauge on the back of the engine at the sending unit is located to monitor the oil pressure.

Auto Transport Service
Back