• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine cooling flush help

diesel_lv

Local time
2:25 AM
Reaction score
1967 Coronet, fresh 496 stroker, new wp, wp housing, aluminum radiator, hoses etc... did a few flushes of cooling system to make sure all passages are clean after machining. Pulled radiator and out of curiosity, looked in bottom radiator opening. The tubes are covered in some sort of gooey gunk. This looks like I'm going to have to take the radiator to a shop to have it flushed. My question is, how can I flush through the engine to ensure the small passages in the head gaskets are not clogged up without removing the water pump and housing etc... have only used distilled water, green universal anti freeze and water wetter. Thanks for any help.
20201019_094118.jpg

this is so when you refill the system it may help with problems in the future.

it looks like the coolant you used reacted with the metals witch made the slime coating

I've seen all of this. Im asking if there is a way to flush the block, make sure the head gasket coolant holes aren't plugged.

I've seen all of this. Im asking if there is a way to flush the block, make sure the head gasket coolant holes aren't plugged.
Without taking the heads off that is the only way to do a complete flush. Watch the video.

if you use stock heads you can remove the freeze plugs in the cylinder head other wise like themechanic said remove head.i remember you had a hot running problem so hard decision to make you could run a degrease thru to try and remove the slime . a chemical cleaner to clean the block even with heads on maye not get it all.

if you use stock heads you can remove the freeze plugs in the cylinder head other wise like themechanic said remove head.i remember you had a hot running problem so hard decision to make you could run a degrease thru to try and remove the slime . a chemical cleaner to clean the block even with heads on maye not get it all.
I think the cooling issues are solved, went to 19" reverse rotation fan w 11 blades, nylon and factory shroud. In 112° temps, 10 miles up 7% grade at 2700 rpm w a/c on and 3 people in car, temps never got over 191 w a 180° thermostat. I'm doing 2 plain water w Cascade powder dishwasher detergent flushes for the greasy/gooey gunk. Then 2 bottles CLR n water flush. Then plain water then 50/50 water anti freeze w water wetter. Hopefully get all the gunk out. Have no idea how it got in there since block was hot tanked, machined. And all other parts are brand new.

Are you running an oil cooler, I’m just wandering cause I drive a 18 wheeler and my oil cooler went bad and it backed up into the radiator some how another and had the greenish brown slime

Auto Transport Service
Back