• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Decode Question

DetSon

Local time
4:12 PM
Reaction score
I'm attempting to become a legitimate B-Body owner but I'm having trouble decoding an engine block on the car I'm thinking of purchasing.
From what I see theres an "E 440" in the upper left corner of the tag.
Below that is a "JW"
Below that is an "8 23" Then an even bigger space and then theres a "2" So that is the lower right of the tag.
Middle center of the tag theres another "JW"
In the upper right corner there is an upside down backwards "B"

Does this means it's a 1969 440 B-block?
And the numbers are the casting date?
As far as the JW I'm completely lost.
Any help would be most greatful. Hopefully I'm posting some pictures in the Welcome Forum soon!

Is the car a 69? What you should do is look near the oil pan rail for a machined pad and stamped on it will be the last part of the VIN. I think it's on the right side but not sure.

Example: Car VIN RM23H9G123456 and the block will say 9G123456.
E440 means it was installed in a 69 car but the block should be cast in 68 or in some cases early 69. Don't know about the JW. The 8 23 could be the date.

Unfortunately the car has come and gone. So I wasn't able to find out where the tag was located but I'm trying to attach an image because I am curious for future opportunities. I think one of you will know just based on the picture where it is. Sorry it's freakin huge. Thanks for any help.
1969GTX_072.jpg

8 23 is the month and day of build. The "2" by itself probably means it was built on second shift. But the "JW"?????

I think the JW was added later. Perhaps the engine was rebuilt, and those were someone's initials.

I have a question about decoding as well. I located these numbers on the left side of the block behind the power steering pump just below the head. This is a poly 318 and the numbers B318 6-28 . The harmonic damper has the direct connection logo on it if that may mean something any help?

Looks to me that you found a block ID casting number and possibly a date or something like that. The VIN stamp did not appear on blocks until sometime in 1968. Your poly 318 should have some stamped info, I believe, below the LT head on the face of the block.

Auto Transport Service
Back