• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

engine help

sdyer233

Local time
11:21 PM
Reaction score
Every time i put my charger in gear (D,R) it stalls out and shuts off, I just recently replaced my pinion yoke and haven't yet gotten around to refilling the differential oil, could this be the problem? thanks

not exactly sure, no tach on my 73 dash, sounds sort of high though

- - - Updated - - -

could it be the driveshaft upside down? i am just trying to eliminate things that have to do with what i just recently did. Never had this problem before but we did do a new cam carb intake and various other mods. tried upping the idle, did not make much of a difference, but it was set very low.

Check Idle 900 in P 500-600 in drive, vacuum 12-15. Got a booster on your brakes?

Did ANYTHING else get changed , modified, replaced since it last drove??? Leave nothing out....

i will crank up the idle a bit more, but it drove fine before this with the idle low. the u joints and the pinion yoke both got changed. could it be the rear end bearings?

- - - Updated - - -

could it be the driveshaft upside down? i am just trying to eliminate things that have to do with what i just recently did. Never had this problem before but we did do a new cam carb intake and various other mods. tried upping the idle, did not make much of a difference, but it was set very low.

Thoughts:

1) I hope your kidding with the empty rear end and putting it into gear to presumably move/drive it.
2) Driveshaft upside down, rear end bearings...really?
3) The most obvious cause for the high idle and stall when put into gear would be a HUGE vacuum leak when you replaced the intake and carb.

Either the carb to PCV is disconnected, or the intake fitting to brake booster is disconnected.

i will crank up the idle a bit more, but it drove fine before this with the idle low. the u joints and the pinion yoke both got changed. could it be the rear end bearings?

If it's as you described,,, "stalling when placed in gear" not likely to be related to anything behind the trans..... Now if it would struggle to move when on the throttle,,,, I would say it could be rear diff related...... The converter should be allowing your engine to run while in gear regardless of anything from the trans back.... Imagine placing it in gear with the brakes applied.... It shouldn't stall then right?..... I would be looking more at engine trouble or torque converter issues....
Engine first though...

- - - Updated - - -

Thoughts:

1) I hope your kidding with the empty rear end and putting it into gear to presumably move/drive it.
2) Driveshaft upside down, rear end bearings...really?
3) The most obvious cause for the high idle and stall when put into gear would be a HUGE vacuum leak when you replaced the intake and carb.

Either the carb to PCV is disconnected, or the intake fitting to brake booster is disconnected.

X2 on leaky vacuum......

well it moves fine, and i'm no professional at this. Just trying to diagnose what could be wrong. brakes feel a bit heavy so it could be some sort of vacuum leak. It drives fine, just when slowing down and coming to a complete stop does it stall out. checked the connections and everything seems right

absolutely woke the engine up, like i previously said the idle was set lower but it ran really good

Sounds like you don't have your baseline set. Timing and Idle. Carb not on the idle circuit and timing retarded too much.

- - - Updated - - -

You are kidding...RIGHT? Sounds like a vacuum leak to me. You said you did a cam change, is it installed correctly? Do you have the correct carb to fit the new intake? Did you seal the intake correctly? Is the timing set to specs? Did you fill the diff. yet, not part of your problem but if you drive it without diff. fluid, you will have another or bigger problem. Did you block off any unused vacuum ports on the carb? Start from the beginning, one thing at a time and check twice before going to the next. The smallest thing can twist your mind and make things not work the way they should. Good luck in your search and keep asking questions and listen to the guys here on FBBO.

everything is installed correctly. just filled the diff. everything looks fine all hoses are good and connections seem solid and clamped. everything is blocked off. like i said, it ran fine until i did the drivetrain work. intake to brake booster is set, no problems seen. is pcv going from carb to valve cover? there is a hose that seems disconnected that is coming from the valve cover

- - - Updated - - -

please don't make fun of my ignorance. like i said, just getting into this and learning new things every day

- - - Updated - - -

hose is only connected at the valve cover, but all of the valves running to the carb seem to be blocked correctly or going to other things. does it go to intake?

There should be a breather hose coming off of one valve cover and pcv coming from the other valve cover.
I assume someone else did the cam and intake swap since ur uncertain of the pcv hose.
Don't worry about not knowing, your in the right place. I myself get corrected on mechanical stuff. Grumpy but helpful they maybe , but these guys do know their stuff.

everything is installed correctly. just filled the diff. everything looks fine all hoses are good and connections seem solid and clamped. everything is blocked off. like i said, it ran fine until i did the drivetrain work. intake to brake booster is set, no problems seen. is pcv going from carb to valve cover? there is a hose that seems disconnected that is coming from the valve cover

- - - Updated - - -

please don't make fun of my ignorance. like i said, just getting into this and learning new things every day

- - - Updated - - -

hose is only connected at the valve cover, but all of the valves running to the carb seem to be blocked correctly or going to other things. does it go to intake?

No troubles...... everyone is trying to think of the things your not... Lol!!!!!
We always see folks doing there best, and this sometimes unfortunately lands them into a tight spot by getting in to deep...

I really do appreciate it, hopefully i will grow to become one of the old, knowledgeable guys that are helping me now (only 17). I finally got some brains and looked at some previous pictures of my engine, found the pcv connection. I had a big mopar friend help me with everything when we did the cam and such, of course he is out of town when I need him the most!! everything should be well now

- - - Updated - - -

I really do appreciate it, hopefully i will grow to become one of the old, knowledgeable guys that are helping me now (only 17). I finally got some brains and looked at some previous pictures of my engine, found the pcv connection. I had a big mopar friend help me with everything when we did the cam and such, of course he is out of town when I need him the most!! everything is about 75% better. but when i am going dead slow 5-10 mph i still stall out. any ideas? im thinking it just may need a carb tune

Auto Transport Service
Back