• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine install from bottom with headers on?

Grabbergreendream

Local time
8:45 AM
Reaction score
Getting ready to mock up my 440/727 into my 71. Engine & trans will be bolted to the K & I'm curious if there's room enough to bolt on my headers before sliding the assembly under the car & lowering the body down. I've measured the best I can and cant see why it wouldn't work but its really hard to get an accurate measurement.
Anybody here done this?
Thanks.

Getting ready to mock up my 440/727 into my 71. Engine & trans will be bolted to the K & I'm curious if there's room enough to bolt on my headers before sliding the assembly under the car & lowering the body down. I've measured the best I can and cant see why it wouldn't work but its really hard to get an accurate measurement.
Anybody here done this?
Thanks.

Not a problem... Been done many times... towels over the headers prevent accidental scratches..

Obviously depends on the headers. If the headers are not wider than the frame rails then it will fit. Most under chassis headers should fit but it is possible that you have a set that won't fit. Since you didn't provide much information we can't really give you a positive answer.

Thanks for the replys guys & sorry, forgot to add they are Summit coated full length headers. 1 & 7/8" primaries part # sumG9149. Thank again!

Auto Transport Service
Back