• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine noise

streetstrip_ch

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:09 PM
Reaction score
so, long story short I went yesterday evening for a drive to test the FBO ignition I had just switched after my orange box gave up while warming the car (I was lucky to be home), and I started to hear some noise that wasn't there before right after I fired the engine.

I thought it was just in my head, so I left the garage and went down the street and heard a big bang, which almost gave me a heart attack, I slowly drove back home and parked the car.

Today, I had to bring my daughter to an event 10min from home, and I started to get those noises again, I just got back home and will wait for the car to cool down, will start removing valve cover to check rockers, and from there go to the oil pan.

the noise is not constant, or at least I don't hear it all the time, and now that I think about it, I wonder if it is a bent exhaust valve, not sure.

I hate when I'm speaking in a video, but I made some videos while driving, and sorry for the accent :D

before you ask, you might see on the video the oil pressure gauge at 0, is is because it doesn't work! the summit gauge only worked for 1 year...

1 - while driving...

2 - driving back home...

3 - while parked at home...

Very hard to say. Remove the valve covers & look for punched out rocker arm, broken valve spring, valves sunk, etc.
If all checks out, I would think broken piston.

I can't get past the vertical video. Try this.

Vertical vid.gif

Its hard to hear that noise in the video but it almost sounded like when the water pump in my 2000 ram(5.2) was going bad. It happened when I was driving down the road. I heard this loud clicking noise so I opened the hood and my fan was "flopping" around. Luckily I was able to make it home. A few years later I started hearing that clicking noise again and it turned out that water pump was going bad. I've also had an alternator that was less than a week old that locked up while I was driving down the road. Hopefully it is something simple that can be fixed.

Very hard to say. Remove the valve covers & look for punched out rocker arm, broken valve spring, valves sunk, etc.
If all checks out, I would think broken piston.
I removed the valve cover and it seem fine from that point of view, like you said probably a piston. I'll remove the heads by the end of the week and I'll know for sure.

Check for burnt spark plug wires/boots. A cylinder not firing could dump gas into hot exhaust pipes.

sorry, I don't make videos very often...
Simple mistake.
I’m a bit touchy on that subject. I see so many videos that could be great if they were recorded in the traditional horizontal format like all TV, movie and computer screens are. Vertical video makes it seem like you’re looking through a narrow doorway.
I wish I could help with the noise you’re having. I can’t hear it clearly in the videos.
I’d be glad to try again if you posted another recording.

Auto Transport Service
Back