• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine oil dipstick routing on 1969 426 Hemi Charger

Local time
10:15 PM
Reaction score
Guys,

Can someone confirm the correct factory routing for the dipstick tube please. The setup on the car had the dipstick tube coming out behind the #3 exhaust tube (ie, behind the second tube on the driver’s side), which had required someone in the past to contort the tube to impossible bends.

I found this photo showing the dipstick routed along the #1 exhaust tube and the clip attached on the front exhaust manifold bolt. Is this the correct factory routing?

Thanks,
Mike

58C59BA6-E6C9-40C4-980B-C02376744B91.jpeg

I now have the new dipstick and tube assembly. The dipstick is really difficult to insert and extract because the tube curves up, then left, then down before it enters the block. Trying to move a flat piece of steel with a squared off tip through three changes of direction makes it stick and is probably why the previous dipstick was broken when I bought the car.

Any suggestions as to how to smooth the path? Maybe round off the corners of the tip of the dipstick?

I now have the new dipstick and tube assembly. The dipstick is really difficult to insert and extract because the tube curves up, then left, then down before it enters the block. Trying to move a flat piece of steel with a squared off tip through three changes of direction makes it stick and is probably why the previous dipstick was broken when I bought the car.

Any suggestions as to how to smooth the path? Maybe round off the corners of the tip of the dipstick?

Try liquid nitrogen spray to shrink the tube.

https://www.amazon.com/slp/liquid-nitrogen-spray/jfwkm9mbz8wv8kw

Thanks,

I will freeze the tube before fitting to the block.

The question I am asking is how to make the dipstick insert and extract from the dipstick tube without sticking. The dipstick has to bend up, left and down to get to the oil pan. It does not move easily in the tube, it sticks hard. How to make the dipstick insert and extract easily?

You'll fined it depends how you position the flat part of the d stick. Try putting it in if it seems to jam pull it out a little and turn d stick a little repeat until you find where it goes in easy.

Rotating the dipstick to different positions did not work. It can only go in one way to make the first bend. What did work was rounding off the tip of the dipstick with a file, now it goes in easily without catching.

Was the end cut square? Every mopar d stick I've tapers to a rounded point. Just curious.

Your dipstick should always be round on the end if you expect it to get in the tube! :D

Auto Transport Service
Back