• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Serial Number

Superbee Sean

Local time
5:51 PM
Reaction score
So I just pulled my 383 Engine out of my 68 Super Bee. I knew it wasn’t numbers matching, but would love to find out more about it….what it lived it’s life in before the Bee (it never ran in the Bee). What I do know (from casting numbers) is this…..a 383 cast on 7/9/70 at 7pm. Can’t find anything readable on the pad next to distributor. Passenger side pad stamped “1C(cross)17528”……how much, and where do I find anything else, to include that number,……?

On the passenger side oil pan rail will be a machined pad that will have the VIN... maybe. Some weren’t stamped.

A ‘70 cast block should have the number for the year of the car, the letter for the plant where the car was assembled, then the 6 digit sequence number.

On the passenger side oil pan rail will be a machined pad that will have the VIN... maybe. Some weren’t stamped.

A ‘70 cast block should have the number for the year of the car, the letter for the plant where the car was assembled, then the 6 digit sequence number.
So it went in a 71 something…..and just need to find out what factory was “C”. I think the Maltese cross has to do with undersized something….and the remainder is the serial number car / engine. Thanks for the help!!!

“C” would be Jefferson Ave. Motown. I had a ‘68 New Yorker that was built there.

Check the bottom of the block by the oil pan. That is where the VIN is. It’s on the passenger side on B/RB engines.
37CA1699-D62F-4225-A105-89250123DF9F.jpeg

This is from a ‘69 Dodge Main “Hamtramck” built car

Last edited:
That’s where I got the number, passenger side pad above the oil pan. My car was built at Lynch Rd. Would be nice to see what this engine started in……Thanks for the info

Unfortunately unless the block is out of an early ‘69 MY car... which would have the full VIN. You will only know the factory. You can narrow that down to what cars were produced there.

I have a ‘70 440 short block stamped HP2. Letter “A” on the pan rail. Lynch Road. It could be out of a Super Bee, Coronet R/T, road runner, or GTX. It could also have been a Six Pack or a 4 Bbl. No way of telling which one. But it had to be from one of those.

The sequence falls right between the Super Bird numbers... so not from one of them.

The early ‘69 cars, from August of ‘68 to about February of ‘69 have a full VIN, as do the transmissions.

I have a 23 spline box that is RM21H9G... ‘69 road runner coupe. And a 383 PK41H9... ‘69 Fury 4 door Police.

Last edited:
Jefferson built Chryslers and Imperials so it's from one of them.

A Newport or a New Yorker. Imperials had 440’s only.

I’m wrong. I forgot... New Yorkers were 440 only in ‘71. Funny thing though... a neighbor had a ‘71 Town and Country wagon. The 383 2Bbbl was standard in that barge.

So, Newport or Town and Country wagon. I’m not sure what else was made there in ‘70-‘71.

Last edited:
I think other C bodies might have been assembled there. If that’s the case then... Furys, Polaras, and Monacos.

That makes sense. My daily is a ‘68 Satellite 383 2Bbl. 4 door.

Back in the 80’s in the junkyards, I don’t remember ever seeing a big block B body. Mostly 318’s and the occasional slant 6. But it seemed like most late 60’s C bodies other than the New Yorker had a 383 2Bbl.

Was told it was swapped with an engine out of a Sport Satellite…….383 with a 2 barrel? Front pad is stamped with “G383”……meaning a 1971 383….I think I at least have a good start for a decent big block….

if you are rebuilding, check out the pistons. maybe you got lucky with a higher than standard compression engine. Chrysler didn't stamp all their engines HP when a four barrel application.I believe 8:5 was a two barrel, and 9:5 in the four barrel? I am only guessing, all mine are pre 70 cars.

Was told it was swapped with an engine out of a Sport Satellite…….383 with a 2 barrel? Front pad is stamped with “G383”……meaning a 1971 383….I think I at least have a good start for a decent big block….

So is the letter after the 1 a "C", indicating a Chrysler, or a "G", which is plausible for a St. Louis built Sport Satellite? A VIN of 1G17528* puts the car within a block of Satellites.

if you are rebuilding, check out the pistons. maybe you got lucky with a higher than standard compression engine. Chrysler didn't stamp all their engines HP when a four barrel application.I believe 8:5 was a two barrel, and 9:5 in the four barrel? I am only guessing, all mine are pre 70 cars.

Unlike 68-70, for model year 71 there is only one version of the 383-4.

So is the letter after the 1 a "C", indicating a Chrysler, or a "G", which is plausible for a St. Louis built Sport Satellite? A VIN of 1G17528* puts the car within a block of Satellites.
The passenger side stamp is a 1 “C”. The distributor block area is stamped with a G383, which I believe gives it a 1971. It is also stamped under that a “15 2”? Maybe there are more numbers under the head? Will find out this weekend when I pull them off.

Auto Transport Service
Back