• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine timing light question

rrTor-Red

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:13 PM
Reaction score
I'm posting just to satisfy my OCD and of course, want to do it right. I'm wanting to check the timing on my engine and I borrowed a digital timing light from a friend who lost the instructions and don't remember himself. If the timing was at 18*, is this the "advance" feature you set it at? Or initial timing? Engine is a B block 400. THANKS!

Last edited:
My Craftsman timing light has a dial with 0 to 50* so you can use it to check the advance. If you want 15* set the dial to 15 and then rotate your distributor until the 0 on the damper lines up with 0* on the timing tab, you will then have 15*, etc.
Mike

As you describe it the 18 degrees BTDC is the initial timing. You're full advance will come in at higher RPM. This RPM will depend on how your distributor is setup or "curved". 440'

Dial-back timing lights let you enter/set the advance BTDC in the display or dial. When the damper aligns with Zero, then the engine is timed at the set advance point.
If you have a degreed damper, you can double check by setting the timing light to Zero advance and the timing on the damper should read the same degrees advanced.
In most cases you want to set total mechanical advance. Vacuum advance disconnected, and engine up around 3,000 RPM or where the distributor quits adding advance. Set total timing at the higher RPM, then check the timing at idle. If you need to adjust the initial idle rpm, then re-curve the distributor.

Try vacuum gauge set up also. You can find on U Tube how to do this. Had mine set that way and had to retard it by 2 or three degrees run's fine.

Thanks guys. It's been a LONG time since I did this and by no means, by using a digital. I know my initial timing was set at 18* BTDC and it went to 35* @ 3500 RPM(?). I just want to see and confirm the timing. I have a vacuum gauge as well. I will start the motor and set advance at 18* at idle and see what it is reading. Am I missing something?

Thanks guys. It's been a LONG time since I did this and by no means, by using a digital. I know my initial timing was set at 18* BTDC and it went to 35* @ 3500 RPM(?). I just want to see and confirm the timing. I have a vacuum gauge as well. I will start the motor and set advance at 18* at idle and see what it is reading. Am I missing something?
Vac is mostly cam for first start around 12 worked for me.

Ive been told that advance lights dont work with MSD boxes. True???
I think it has to be rated for multiple spark otherwise it could give some eradict flashes.
I've used my Innova digital and it seemed like it was pretty spot on.
What I do find wierd/odd is that it will not flash when turning over. My Terminator efi states to disconnect the injectors and verify that during starting that the actual timing corresponds with what you set in the ecu. Because of its inability to pick up during cranking I'm unable to verify this step.

My Innovia seems to work fine. Besides if setting total timing at 3,000+ RPM, the MSD is only sparking once per cylinder at that higher RPM. The time that the rotor is aligned with the cap limits how many times a the ignition can fire for a cylinder with some margin to prevent cross-fire.

I have a Mac Tools Advance timing light that I have used for years
I have never had any trouble setting the timing either at idle or at 3000 RPM

I recently bought an Innova and it flashes intermittently. Drives me crazy. My el cheapo flashes steady. I have a factory electronic ignition system.

Auto Transport Service
Back