• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine/trans swap

67belve2

Local time
6:01 AM
Reaction score
I think I know the answer to this, but thought I'd ask before I get too deep. My 67 Belvedere currently has the original tired 273 and 904. I have an opportunity to get a 318 and 904 that has under 50k miles from a 71 dart. Would this be a direct swap? Any driveshaft length differences between the two transmissions, or anything like that? I'm thinking i should be able pull my combination out, and drop the other straight in.
Thanks for your help.

Yes you can swap. No driveshaft problems either.

You may have to drill a few holes in the motor mount brackets for the cast ears on the block. Some years are different. No big deal.
Doug

Thanks guys! I was hoping that would be the case. The 318/904 will be pulled from the Dart this weekend, as a unit. Current owner suggested separating the two and installing a new seal in the front of the transmission before installing as a good practice. It is not leaking currently. Does everyone agree? I want to give it a fresh coat of paint. Anything else I should do while its out? This will actually be my first time doing an engine/trans swap.
Thanks again.

Yes. Replace the converter seal and all the fluids. Check the trans fluid condition as it drains. Should be red and not smell burned.
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back