• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine v.i.n. 9a261880

696pack

Local time
5:14 PM
Reaction score
This engine came with my A12 Super Bee when bought it but is NOT for my car. I was told that it was from an A12 RR that was destroyed many years ago. However Dave Watt has said based on the V.I.N. sequence he believes it was from a Super Bee.

The casting date is 2/14/69 and the assembly date is 4/21/69.

I would consider selling/trading it for another date code correct 440 for A12 time frame as i would like to keep a date code correct engine with my car, but would also like the owner of the car to have the opportunity to get their original engine back if the car still exists.

contact me at [email protected] or call 928-277-4692 AZ.

This engine came with my A12 Super Bee when bought it but is NOT for my car. I was told that it was from an A12 RR that was destroyed many years ago. However Dave Watt has said based on the V.I.N. sequence he believes it was from a Super Bee.

The casting date is 2/14/69 and the assembly date is 4/21/69.

I would consider selling/trading it for another date code correct 440 for A12 time frame as i would like to keep a date code correct engine with my car, but would also like the owner of the car to have the opportunity to get their original engine back if the car still exists.

contact me at [email protected] or call 928-277-4692 AZ.

D,

Dave is a pretty sharp guy and we keep in contact but for WIW...261881, the next car, is a road Runner with an SPD of 429 leading me to believe the engine may have come from a RR. :beerchug:

D,

Dave is a pretty sharp guy and we keep in contact but for WIW...261881, the next car, is a road Runner with an SPD of 429 leading me to believe the engine may have come from a RR. :beerchug:

Well, that is what the guy i got the engine from told me and i had no reason to not believe him until Dave Watt suggested what he did. The car is likely gone anyway but i thought i would throw it out there.

D,

Doug,

I am re-visiting all the info regarding this engine as I am listing it for sale on Ebay the evening of 1/3/11.

I just noticed that the next engine you refer to as following my V.I.N. has a SPD of 429 which we both know is not one of the two SPDs for A12 cars which are 329 and 426.

From what Dave Watt is telling me is that it appears the V.I.N.S for the A12 cars were assigned in blocks and in somewhat sequencial order. Here was my comment to Dave regarding this situation: "It was always my thought that each plant only had one set of sequencial numbers for the V.I.N. I know that it is possible to have the same V.I.N. for two different cars with the EXCEPTION of the plant code digit. From what you are stating here it would mean that possibly Plymouths and Dodges built in the same plant had a seperate set of V.I.N. sequence numbers. Is this what you are saying???" Dave then said: My statement here is in regards to A12 cars only. Yes, they never shared a V.I.N. sequence of numbers. If you see a Super Bee with 9A261880, you will not see the next car be a Road Runner with 9A261881. 100 cars apart is the closest I've seen.

I knew this to be true for the first 100 cars but was not aware of this possibility beyond this. It does appear to be true to some degree from the
A12 registry but of course with so many cars missing it is hard to tell how many they might have built in "blocks" or what the starting and ending numbers might have been. I suppose it could be that this engine could have been the last one in a "block" of A12 RRs. There is an A12 Bee registered that is 261881 and according to Dave Watt it sounds like my engine falls between another in front of mine that he is not specifically confessing, likely because it is confidential info that he can not disclose.

All is somewhat of a mote point if the actual car is no longer with us and the engine is just as correct for any other 1969 440 hipo car that needs to have a date code correct engine. Very likely that the new owner will restamp the V.I.N. for their own needs as many out there are these days.

Dave did put me in touch with the owner of the 261881 Bee that has his car registered on the A12 registry as not having the original engine. I sent him all the info with pictures but have not heard back from him. I have waited long enough for someone to step forward so I am ready to offer it for sale to anyone that wants it at this point.

Have a happy new year.

D,

My mistake....LR sequence (gate base sequence) number 261881 is a RR. I was not looking at the next column; VIN numbers.

Sorry.

Auto Transport Service
Back