• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine wiring harness questions

ahren

Local time
4:11 PM
Reaction score
I am new here and am working on my first 440 swap on my 69 charger 318 car. My question is, the car has a 318 engine and 904 automatic, the wiring harness is 318/904 now and I’m going with a 440 HP 6 pack engine, the question is, do I or can I use the 318 wiring harness for the upgrade, or do I have to buy a new 440 harness? If I need a new harness, then will the bulkhead wires match up to the same accessories or are they different for the 440 6 pack?

Second question, I bought a new engine harness specifically made for the 440 6 pack and the wire colors don’t match up to the colors on my 318 harness or my charger wiring harness manual which now has me confused on what I need to do as it only covers 69 charger and hemi engine wiring.

Has anyone done this swap and what did you do for your engine harness?

Small block harnesses can be adapted to Big Block and backwards. Just need to enlarge some of the wiring, specifically the dist and coil wires.

now, as far I know there are some of the sick pack stuff which is not present on the SB or BB harness, but is mostly related into the same engine bay side parts, not with cab.

Bulkhead disposition is the same for all engines. There is not a diff on dash harness related with engines, but just cluster (Rallye or standard)

I've found M&H harnesses to be pretty accurate - both fit and colors. And yes, there is a difference between the 318 and the 440. Yours for the 1969 6-pack would be one of the ones highlighted below.

I just installed one in my Coronet, and the fit was perfect. Only one wire was the wrong color, which was a bit disappointing, but I'm not complaining. It was an easy swap.

1679830191306.png

I put a 440 in a 318 charger . I believe I only changed length for coil a distributor. Put a six pac i 68 RR. I remember having to add a wire thatt was keyed hot for the iidle solenoid.

Oh and by the way, welcome to the Clan! ...from a fellow Ohioan. Post up some pictures of that 69 in the Welcome Wagon section.

You can easily make your own engine harness with a few connectors and some wire. There are only
a handful of wires that actually go to the engine. No need to spend big bucks on a new harness. Sounds
like a fun project!

I am new here and am working on my first 440 swap on my 69 charger 318 car. My question is, the car has a 318 engine and 904 automatic, the wiring harness is 318/904 now and I’m going with a 440 HP 6 pack engine, the question is, do I or can I use the 318 wiring harness for the upgrade, or do I have to buy a new 440 harness? If I need a new harness, then will the bulkhead wires match up to the same accessories or are they different for the 440 6 pack?

Second question, I bought a new engine harness specifically made for the 440 6 pack and the wire colors don’t match up to the colors on my 318 harness or my charger wiring harness manual which now has me confused on what I need to do as it only covers 69 charger and hemi engine wiring.

Has anyone done this swap and what did you do for your engine harness?
Colors should be the same. Does not matter if it is a 6 cylinder or a 426 hemi.

Small block harnesses can be adapted to Big Block and backwards. Just need to enlarge some of the wiring, specifically the dist and coil wires.

now, as far I know there are some of the sick pack stuff which is not present on the SB or BB harness, but is mostly related into the same engine bay side parts, not with cab.

Bulkhead disposition is the same for all engines. There is not a diff on dash harness related with engines, but just cluster (Rallye or standard)
Ok thank you for the response, much appreciated!

Auto Transport Service
Back