• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Equity vs. Equality, know the difference.

SteveSS

Local time
1:15 AM
Reaction score
Equality is when everyone gets the same opportunity. Equity is when they tilt the table so everyone gets the same result regardless of performance.

Here's an example of equity posted yesterday.

Oak Park and River Forest High School administrators will require teachers next school year to adjust their classroom grading scales to account for the skin color or ethnicity of its students.

OPRF will order its teachers to exclude from their grading assessments variables it says disproportionally hurt the grades of black students. They can no longer be docked for missing class, misbehaving in school or failing to turn in their assignments, according to the plan.

“Traditional grading practices perpetuate inequities and intensify the opportunity gap,” reads a slide in the PowerPoint deck outlining its rationale and goals.

Advocates for so-called "equity based" grading practices, which seek to raise the grade point averages of black students and lower scores of higher-achieving Asian, white and Hispanic ones, say new grading criteria are necessary to further school districts' mission of DEIJ, or "Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice."

School districts across the U.S. are "experimenting with getting rid of zero-to-100 point scales and other strategies to keep missed assignments from dramatically bringing down overall grades," according to a March Associated Press report. "Others are allowing students to retake tests and turn work in late. Also coming under scrutiny are extra-credit assignments than can favor students with more advantages."

He has "stopped giving zeros and deducting points for late work" as well as allowing students "unlimited retakes for quizzes and tests."

I am not commenting on the fairness of this so I don't get in trouble. I'm using it as an example of the word EQUITY so you can recognize it.

Let's try not to get this locked so a lot of people can read it.

The 2 words mean different things and I agree it's important to know the difference.
Some of these strategies are being used in suburbia too, lots of ability for unlimited retakes regardless of skin color in our district. So you might say there's some equality in the equity strategies...

It's fake news Steve, look it up.

Best way to lie to the gullible, and hide unpleasant truths?
1. Claim to be a "fact checker".
2. Claim to always tell the truth.

They got me!!!! Although isn't Snopes real hard left-leaning? Kind of like Wikipedia?

I know this one is real.

Rejected Asian students sue Harvard over admissions that favor other minorities

This was back in 2015 and the Asian students lost in the lower courts. I don't know if the supreme court has heard it yet. This article was from a year ago.

The Supreme Court could decide the legality of affirmative action during its next term, announcing Monday the justices want the Biden Justice Department to weigh in on a case against Harvard College’s admission policy.

The case, Students for Fair Admissions Inc. v. President and Fellows of Harvard College, is pending before the court after the organization asked for the justices to hear arguments that the ivy league school discriminates against Asian American students on the basis of race, saying the school prefers to admit underrepresented minorities.

Auto Transport Service
Back