• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

European Road Trip

slepr1

Local time
7:45 PM
Reaction score
I just booked a 15 day trip in July to Amsterdam where our first European road trip will start. I'll rent a nice car and plan on driving maybe 5-6 hours a day. Hope to go through Germany, Austria, Italy and back up through Switzerland, France and Belgium.

We've road tripped many times through most of the US and parts of Canada. Time for a change of scenery and language.

Any suggestions on interesting things to see or do please let me know.

Definitely spend 3 or more days in Amsterdam. It’s an absolutely beautiful city and everyone walks or rides bicycles. Hardly any cars driven. Very enjoyable and not at all what I expected. It’s not all about pot and red lights. The people living there with families looked very happy.

Not sure if you like beer but if so it’s worth it to visit a few monastery breweries in Bavaria near Munich. Weltenburger is the oldest and my favorite, sitting along the Danube River it’s very picturesque in the small town of kelheim which is also home to Schneiderweisse.

When there i also visited Dachau concentration camp memorial. Totally worth it and free. A Very sobering experience.

If driving along the Rhine, try to stay a night at the Rheinstein Castle before Bingen. Has a majestic view over looking the Rhine river. If you get near the Black Forest, get there early in the morning and YES, you will actually hear the Coo Coo birds. In Austria, Innsbruck is very historical and beautiful. Lots to do there. Same in Vienna. Could care less about France. To many arguments with the relatives that moved there. For me the only good thing about France is Normandy. The folks still are very appreciative of what happened there. Definetly try to hit the spots that 69sport satellite mentioned. Have fun and be safe. Take lots of pics.

By the way, 15 days is extremely ambitious for your itinerary. Remember that it’s slower going through elevation mountains. When I did my trip it was 10 days and we spent 3 days Amsterdam then 1-2 days each in Munich, Paris, Brussels, and with all the driving it was a tight schedule.

:luvplace:Jump on the ferry and head over to Scotland for a real holiday! Try driving on the other side of the road for a change!!! if your looking for fantastic scenery and food/ people not to mention having a wee dram in some of the local distilleries over there ( hey its only a suggestion,as you can probably tell l am a scotsman who now lives in Canada and I'm promoting the place for sure but make no mistake I'm not exaggerating at all) so good luck on your trip no matter where you end up

I have driven all over Germany, Czech Republic, Finland, Scotland, and England. While it is fun to try your hand on the "other side of the road" just the road signage can confuse an experienced driver. Because of this I would suggest driving in countries that drive on "our side of the road" , then you can get adventuous.
I do, by all means, think getting over to the U.K. would really add to your trip.
However, if you stay in the German area, Dachau should not be missed. Munich has the BMW museum and the 1972 Olympic grounds.

Lucerne, Switzerland is absolutely beautiful; one of the cleanest cities I have ever visited. Take an evening dinner cruise on the lake and you won't be disappointed. Only negative is Switzerland is NOT cheap, so get ready to spend some money...

Auto Transport Service
Back