• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever feel as if you punched yourself in the dick and regret it?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:29 AM
Reaction score
Who needs a choke? Those just block airflow and slow the car down!
Years ago I felt that way. I pulled the choke and linkages from my 850 Demon and went on my way. It seemed that a choke was for cold weather driving.
Back then, I only drove the car in Spring, Summer and fall when the temperatures were 50 or warmer. It idled fine when cold because it ran too rich. I later installed an AEM A/F gauge and leaned it out to run cleaner. It idles in the mid 14s in gear and drops to high 11s at WOT. The plugs stay pretty clean now.
I'm making changes to make the car an all weather cruiser. One change is a working heater and A/C. Now that the car is tuned to run leaner and cleaner, it is cold blooded until it warms up. I want to add a choke to the carburetor but guess what? Like an idiot, I threw out all the parts to do it.
The carburetor is a Demon 850 Vacuum Secondary. It had an electric choke but I'd be willing to rig up a cable and go with a manual choke.
Who has added a choke after removing theirs?

image006.jpg

Not really car related, but recently I have done a bunch of things for the right reasons, and they ended up being disasters. Lifes been kicking my a$$ lately.

Not really car related, but recently I have done a bunch of things for the right reasons, and they ended up being disasters. Lifes been kicking my a$$ lately.
I feel your pain brother

NOOOOOO ! Choke is good ! A few of my buddies did the same thing, not me... now while they're sitting in their cold cars fiddling with the gas pedal to keep it running I hit the key and get out of the car until I'm ready to go ! I drive all year also so choke is a must ...

Getting rid of chokes is a uniquely Californian disease.

Bought four Mopars from California in recent years....every one of them had a disabled choke.

I put a manual choke on my 6-pak (RPM heads-no exhaust passages) and it greatly reduced restarts and ankle fatigue!
Mike

Who needs a choke? Those just block airflow and slow the car down!
Years ago I felt that way. I pulled the choke and linkages from my 850 Demon and went on my way. It seemed that a choke was for cold weather driving.
Back then, I only drove the car in Spring, Summer and fall when the temperatures were 50 or warmer. It idled fine when cold because it ran too rich. I later installed an AEM A/F gauge and leaned it out to run cleaner. It idles in the mid 14s in gear and drops to high 11s at WOT. The plugs stay pretty clean now.
I'm making changes to make the car an all weather cruiser. One change is a working heater and A/C. Now that the car is tuned to run leaner and cleaner, it is cold blooded until it warms up. I want to add a choke to the carburetor but guess what? Like an idiot, I threw out all the parts to do it.
The carburetor is a Demon 850 Vacuum Secondary. It had an electric choke but I'd be willing to rig up a cable and go with a manual choke.
Who has added a choke after removing theirs?

I swapped an electric choke for a manual setup years ago, it worked but was still a pain in the ***, switched it back. The electric one pulls the choke off gradually based on engine temp. Just buy the parts you need to fix the electric, you will be much happier in the long run.

I swapped an electric choke for a manual setup years ago, it worked but was still a pain in the ***, switched it back. The electric one pulls the choke off gradually based on engine temp. Just buy the parts you need to fix the electric, you will be much happier in the long run.
Actually it's not engine temp, it's the heat from the current going through the coil spring inside the choke housing. Leave your key on for a minute or 2 and you'll find yourself starting with zero choke !

Getting rid of chokes is a uniquely Californian disease...

Nope- FL, too, and I'd bet parts of TX, AZ. NV, even GA, AL, etc.

Actually it's not engine temp, it's the heat from the current going through the coil spring inside the choke housing. Leave your key on for a minute or 2 and you'll find yourself starting with zero choke !

The one I had, had a tube that the hot air went thru heated the spring as it warmed up in addition to the coil. It must have been different than the OP

this thread is about punching yourself in the dick........ disabling your choke is just one example

Well, my 318 Poly motor has a 600cfm Edelbrock with manual choke. It needs it otherwise it dies out before it warms up.

My 440 has an 800 cfm Edelbrock Thunder with the choke removed and it starts up and idles fine when cold. About 10 seconds slow reving and it idles without dying.

When I was 16 and I was at my grandpa’s farm in the fall, I complained to him how it was hard to start my Charger when it was cold. 318 with no choke and I told him that I should put a choke on to help with starting in the cold. He told me “There are two kind of people in the world, a man who doesn’t need a choke to start a car and a woman who needs a choke to start a car, which one are you?” Haha old farmer I tell yah

Auto Transport Service
Back