• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever have a funnel tip over when your pouring in some oil?

Don Frelier

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:26 AM
Reaction score
Turns out that the 5.2L in my Dakota has a special design to hold the funnel perfectly in place.

Leave it to Chrysler to solve a potentially messy problem.
IMG_20220725_200541676_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220725_200507571_HDR.jpg

I don't think I ever had an funnel that didn't tip over. Aren't they made to tip over?

Either the baffle won't let the funnel go in far enough and it falls out or the funnel goes in far enough but it bottoms out on something flat and won't let the oil come out unless you lift up on it.

How about using a funnel to pour used motor oil into a jug or some other container. When pouring it from a drain pan the air can't get out of the jug and the back pressure blows the oil back into the funnel making a mess. I learned to use a wire hanging into the jug opening to keep the funnel from sealing the hole. Just make a hook out of a stiff wire so it doesn't fall into the jug/container.

Murphy's Law of Selective Gravity: Something will tip over only where it can make the biggest mess.

What you guys can't freepour anymore? :lol:

A few occasions funnel tipped pouring old oil out into old empty gallon jugs I keep around. And seems covering the floor with cardboard to catch spilled oil is not set just right so I earn another oil stain on the garage floor. Have enough of those now that I don't care anymore. Thinking I might just spill out the old oil over the entire floor evenly so it all matches...

Easy, hold funnel with one hand pour with other.

A cut off one gallon milk jug top would probably work better, if you can’t hit that hole you should buy a horse.

Here ya go. Spill saver funnel.

spill saver funnel.jpg

EAA Week

Turbine or Piston

Always fun when adding oil and something doesn’t go as planned

Pilot - Can I get two quarts in the right and one in the left , and by the way I want to leave in five minutes

Taking to myself
You have been sitting on the damn ramp for three days

Auto Transport Service
Back