• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Excessive valvetrain noise

Frankb

Local time
4:27 PM
Reaction score
Engine is 440/496 with hyd roller cam and Crane Gold roller rockers. Engine assembled 12 years ago and has 2500 miles. There is a loud ticking noise coming from top end. I removed valve covers and found some loose rockers:
#2 exhaust
#6 intake
#6 exhaust
#8 intake (#8 exhaust valve is open)
Questions: what is the proper way to adjust roller rockers with hyd roller cam? Is there any way to determine if the lifters are bad without removing them? If the lifters won't pump up will that cause loose rockers?
The engine runs fine and makes good power. Top end oil lubrication looks good. Lifters are Gaterman GP1006. I ask about the lifters because this car sits for extended periods of time. Six months or longer.

Here’s a link to your lifter manufacturer instructions on adjustment. Instructions

If the lash is too much for the lifter to take up this could cause noise and loose rockers. This possibly could be caused by wear in the lifter, cam, rocker, or other valve train components causing some slop. It could also be the rocker adjusters have backed off.

If the lifter bleeds down from sitting, this could also cause valve train noise and loose rockers. On my cars, I will sometimes get a little valve train noise after they have sat for an extended period of time but this goes away after a few seconds of running.

If this is a new noise, you could adjust accordingly and see if that helps. If it doesn’t help, you’re probably pulling the lifters and inspecting.

Engine is 440/496 with hyd roller cam and Crane Gold roller rockers. Engine assembled 12 years ago and has 2500 miles. There is a loud ticking noise coming from top end. I removed valve covers and found some loose rockers:
#2 exhaust
#6 intake
#6 exhaust
#8 intake (#8 exhaust valve is open)
Questions: what is the proper way to adjust roller rockers with hyd roller cam? Is there any way to determine if the lifters are bad without removing them? If the lifters won't pump up will that cause loose rockers?
The engine runs fine and makes good power. Top end oil lubrication looks good. Lifters are Gaterman GP1006. I ask about the lifters because this car sits for extended periods of time. Six months or longer.
Just adjust them. In 12 years they should of been adjusted a few times.

Gatermans are good stuff so I wouldn't start by assuming they're bad...adjust according to the EOIC method. As the exhaust valve opens, adjust that rocker to your desired preload and do the same for the Intake as it starts to close.

Report back if the issue remains.

I usually set hydraulics to 0.040" preload, about 1-turn pre load with a 24 TPI adjuster (1/24 = 0.04167")
I can't verify, but have read that some of the hydraulic lifters don't like the heavier 10W-40 and 20W-50 motor oils?

Auto Transport Service
Back