• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust Gas Temp?

Thanks for the article, Cranky! Unless you are playing with temps as a tuning tool, the only important data would be consistent temperatures between all the exhaust ports. As he said, too many variables to set a firm number.

Thanks for the article, Cranky! Unless you are playing with temps as a tuning tool, the only important data would be consistent temperatures between all the exhaust ports. As he said, too many variables to set a firm number.
Yup....that's what I do....and a good temp gun is always handy.

I believe the best way to measure EGT is with a thermocouple in the exhaust gas stream. I did this 20 yrs ago on my 383 by drilling a .040" hole in the header very close to the port and stuck a type J thermocouple about 1/2" into the pipe. I remember getting about 900 deg F and the temp changed almost immediately as I played with the idle mixture. In my case I noticed the higher the temp the richer the idle mixture. This was a primitive test with one old analog TC meter so I had no way of getting good data on all cylinders. I think it's critical that you measure the gas temp from every cylinder and not the average temp of the manifold.

I've been looking at this with the intention of getting one http://www.racepak.com/

It's interesting in the SDSEFI article it says the rotary engine EGT is high because of thermal inefficiency. I know those don't have the most optimum combustion chamber design, but I would think the high EGT is more of a result of the constant stream of exhaust gas coming out of the port. Have you ever seen the header pipe for one of these? The tube is like 1/8" thick because the regular stuff will melt down! On a 4 stroke the duty cycle of hot gas is much lower (especially for one port), thus might show a lower average EGT. I don't know; makes sense to me.

Auto Transport Service
Back