• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust H-Pipe Observations

66 Sat

Local time
7:51 AM
Reaction score
Last week I had a H-Pipe fitted to the exhaust of my 66 Satellite. Not only is the car much quieter at a 3000rpm cruising speed (you can actually have a conversation with your passenger without yelling at each other), the throttle response is way better at low rpm. Both of these improvements were expected.
What was unexpected is when I park in my garage after driving it, the smell of fumes is hardly there at all, when before you could smell the car for a few hours after. I'm guessing the scavenging effect is making the car more efficient and before the exhaust gases would have been in the pipes after I shut the car off, and then escaped into the garage.
$80 well spent.

That is a lot of good from an $80 H pipe!
I bought a 3" diameter prefabricated X exhaust pipe crossover and had a local shop weld it in. It's compact and I know it boosts performance.
The Flowmasters, 3" diameter of my exhaust system, and the X pipe all contribute to the performance being equal to what I get when I open my header cutouts.
Through the mufflers is on the loud side, but no buffeting sound or droning, and I like to hear the chop of the cam.

My local mom and pop exhaust shop recommended a H Pipe for mechanical integrity. Didn't notice any performance change, but I love the sound. Even when I pulled into the driveway my wife commented on the sound improvement.

My local mom and pop exhaust shop recommended a H Pipe for mechanical integrity. Didn't notice any performance change, but I love the sound. Even when I pulled into the driveway my wife commented on the sound improvement.
That's especially important if your WIFE likes it....means that you get to live there another month or two! LOL!

Auto Transport Service
Back