• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust Manifold dripping Anti Freeze

Duck

Local time
7:24 PM
Reaction score
72 Dodge 440 leaking antifreeze. put a new gasket in.
The were bolts in all holes except last (by fire wall) was a stud
Did put Permatex on all bolts (threads)
manifold is flat
ANY HELP

72 Dodge 440 leaking antifreeze. put a new gasket in.
The were bolts in all holes except last (by fire wall) was a stud
Did put Permatex on all bolts (threads)
manifold is flat
ANY HELP
Outer studs on both heads go through to the water jacket. It's a PITA but they'll need some pipe dope/sealant.

Double check where the antifreeze is coming from. Looking up from underneath works better. There's frost plugs behind the manifold also. Renting a pressure guage from your local parts store can speed things up if you pressurize the system.

all of your exhaust manifold bolts go into coolant on a big block. Sometimes permatex will not do the trick on a wet hole.
You need to drain down your coolant below the heads , blow them out with some air and use a heat rated PTFE pipe sealer / pipe dope.
If its steam rated its good. put it together and let it sit over night before refilling.
Others have different ways but this is what I do.

I have had good luck using loctite on the threads

ONLY the two outside exhaust studs go into the water jacket
More misinformation spreading

Misinformation ?
Better dbl check that one.

Last edited:
Looks like all exhaust studs are in water jackets on my 906 heads. Maybe other cast numbers differ?? I'm not sure.... i can post picks as I currently have them all out. 1968 440

So I ran out and took picks, the end studs you can clearly see back in the heads with a light. The insides ones appear to have iron behind them , but do not. If I take my air gun I can push air no problem threw, they have opening access on the tops of the holes for the most part. I tried to capture it in the photo but pretty difficult to see. Surry I tried. # 5 & 7 exh ports below

20201010_215233.jpg 20201010_215220.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back