• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust manifold flapper pin

dodge68charger

Local time
12:32 AM
Reaction score
I have a set of exhaust manifolds from my 1970 440 engine and the flapper on the one side is missing but the pin that goes through the manifold is there. One side is intact with a little tab but how do i go about preventing the pin to slide out and causing an exhaust leak. Can i jb weld it.. image.jpgThanks

Or could do what I did, and yank that shaft out, thread it, and put pipe plugs in the two holes. I had a very annoying exhaust leak through that shaft, so I said enough, and just plugged the holes.

Or could do what I did, and yank that shaft out, thread it, and put pipe plugs in the two holes. I had a very annoying exhaust leak through that shaft, so I said enough, and just plugged the holes.

I like this idea. Will have to do that.

Thanks for the replys guys. I really like the pipe thread idea. Fantastic!! Never thought of that. Thanks

I'll post up pictures tonight of the work. That's if you don't mind "messing up" the HP manifolds. I know they might be worth some money for people, but maybe there's enough out there.

Thanks for the replys guys. I really like the pipe thread idea. Fantastic!! Never thought of that. Thanks

But boy did that leak chap me to no end!!! The car would be rumbling at a stop light and somebody would pull up and say " Hey, BAD *** car!! Got an exhaust leak do you?" WTF?!?!?!? DAMN YOU LEAK!!!!!!!!!!!

I have done both. leave the shaft or drill and tap for 1/8" pipe plugs (letter R drill).

you can buy complete correct rebuild kits will all pins, bushings, springs, weights etc. or individual parts for a repair from Dynamic renovations. they even sell a bushing driver to aid in installing new shaft bushings. No reason to ruin an original manifold by welding or pipe plugging the holes.

No, because I used NPT plugs which were tapered, I didn't seal the threads.

And wish I would have known of the rebuilding kits at the time. I still have the manifolds though sitting in the basement, replaced with TTI headers.

IMG_4044.jpg

Did you seal the threads with anything

Who makes the rebuild kit. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Does any company sell the gold colour exhaust manifold nuts or a quality lock style nut. Thanks

Thanks. $169 plusing shipping for the kit or $2 for the plugs. I think im gonna go with the pipe plug idea. Thanks guys

Auto Transport Service
Back