• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

exhaust manifold gasket

gaspar sosa

Local time
9:17 AM
Reaction score
Hello, I replaced my exhaust manifold gaskets from my 383 because there was smoke coming out of it, but still does from a different place now. Is there a specific order to tighten the bolts? or something else I need to check?
Thank you for any response.

Gaspar Sosa

Biggest thing is to make sure both surfaces are machined surfaced flat and clean.
If you have smoke coming from a leak then you have bigger issues than a gasket can fix.
A service manual will tell you proper torque.

I've had the best luck with remflex exhaust manifold gaskets. I believe the Torque spec is 13 ft lbs for remflex.

Start from the center and work your way out. tighten evenly

Hi Everyone,
I know this is not about an exhaust leak, but, I have a question.
Has anyone put the Max Wedge exhaust manifolds on a 67 B body?
I have a RB 440 & thought adding these would be a nice addition, but
if major problems exist, then headers....

Probably get more response by posting a new thread with specifics of the question in the title. My suspicion is they will fit but don’t know for sure.

I just purchased a set of Remflex 6002 and torque specs are 20 ft pounds.

Guys on the HAMB say that Remflex gaskets are the hot ticket for hard to seal engines. I used their header and collector gaskets when reassembling the GTX, they appear to be of high quality but I haven’t been able to run it yet so I guess we’ll see…

Hello, I replaced my exhaust manifold gaskets from my 383 because there was smoke coming out of it, but still does from a different place now. Is there a specific order to tighten the bolts? or something else I need to check?
Thank you for any response.

Gaspar Sosa
If you want a permanent fix, remove manifolds and have them resurfaced and then install without gaskets. Had the same issue with my 413 - tried many types of gaskets without success. Milled the manifolds and they have been leak free for 20k miles.

Auto Transport Service
Back