• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust manifolds coatings

The Limey

Local time
1:33 PM
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a place in Southern CA. to get exhaust manifolds refurbished/coated/painted? I'm looking for a 'stock' cast iron look, is ceramic coating the way to go?
Any info or tips appreciated!

Blast'm, prime and coat with VHT cast iron paint and bake properly. No need to pay someone to do so..
beerestoration2015-2016 2254.JPG
beerestoration2017 277.JPG
beerestoration2017 278.JPG

And over a 1000 miles later..
beecoolantcleanup 033.JPG

You forgot to add if you are going to use the wife's oven, do it when she's on a weekend trip and open all the windows in the house haha! I have also had good luck with Factory Manifold Gray by POR15.

I don't have (or want) a wife. Anyone inclined to take your advice should know once used car parts are baked in your kitchen oven, it effectively poisons it for use on food. Using it to bake on chemicals like paint or powder is inviting future health issues from contamination and hazardous fumes, even if open all the windows.

Some ceramic high temp coatings dry in the open air and fully cure later through engine heat after installation. Only a few require tumbling (i.e., chrome replicas). None should be done in a home oven. Ever.

They wouldn't bake while engine is running ?

They might, but you'd probably burn off fresh paint. It's manifold paint and directions are on the can... it's a stepped cycle over time while raising the temperature. The last one being 600F if I remember correctly.

I don't have (or want) a wife. Anyone inclined to take your advice should know once used car parts are baked in your kitchen oven, it effectively poisons it for use on food. Using it to bake on chemicals like paint or powder is inviting future health issues from contamination and hazardous fumes, even if open all the windows.

Some ceramic high temp coatings dry in the open air and fully cure later through engine heat after installation. Only a few require tumbling (i.e., chrome replicas). None should be done in a home oven. Ever.

Yes I am aware.....its a joke my buddy used to say all the time when he was coating parts. He would always laugh and say once the wife leaves I'll bake em in her oven then the meatloaf will have a ceramic coating taste. I would hope no one would actually bake car parts in their food oven lol. Well except dadsbee warming them up hahaha! It makes the turkey have better flavor at thanksgiving! :D:D:):)

Last edited:
Sandblast, wipe down with lacquer thinner, prime with a Hi-temp primer made by Xtreme. They also have the cast iron colored Hi-temp paint, best to put on at least two coats. Paint will cure when engine is started, no need to bake in oven. Paint is available in pints or rattle cans. Be sure to use in a well vented area. Google Xtreme Coatings.

Yes that’s what I used and it is an amazing product! As said blast manifolds paint let dry and start engine and leave the area, leave on fast idle for a great baking job !

For what it is worth, I used, like above the VHT Cast Iron Paint. It does require a step process of heat as it outlined on the can and on the site. I used an old propane BBQ to get mine up to temp. They look great after say 250 miles. To prep, I blasted them in the media blaster, cleaned them with solvent and then applied the VHT direct. So far, So good. Best, B.

New Hooker Comps, blasted and painted with VHT header paint. Just fired up last week, looks great. A bit more work but much cheaper than coated headers. Little bit of oil dripped on the flange under a valve cover bolt, cooked off and is gone.
20210517_212328.jpg

20210517_212353.jpg

Thanks for all the responses/tips. Wound up getting them blasted & coated at 'Engineered Applications' here in Vernon, CA., recommended by a member on here.

IMG_8289.jpeg

If you buy painted black headers from Summit or Jegs, does the paint need to removed prior to the VHT coating?

I have had great luck with the VHT flame proof paints on the headers of my Model A and the manifolds on my 340 GTS.

I have used black on headers for 12 plus years, never flaked off at all. Some discoloration because the headers are exposed to the UV sun light is my thought. As for the GTS, I used the cast iron flame proof when doing the motor this past year.

Went on great and has held up great. The first manifold shot shows someone’s touch up that we fixed.

Cliff Ramsdell
image.jpg
image.jpg
AC94ACC8-C41D-4813-B86E-55AD1005D534.jpeg
1F072CF7-17FB-4267-8F93-09214862EB92.jpeg
C074532D-0A7C-4F7F-83D4-12E737CAC457.jpeg
EC218A3B-E455-43A1-BA2C-BF47322C45A1.jpeg

They might, but you'd probably burn off fresh paint. It's manifold paint and directions are on the can... it's a stepped cycle over time while raising the temperature. The last one being 600F if I remember correctly.

They don’t and dadsbee is correct in saying it burns and flakes off. They must be heat cycled three times -I think 250-400-then 600. As mentioned, directions are on the can

Auto Transport Service
Back