• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust Rocker question

Wookie316

Local time
2:27 PM
Reaction score
I run a set of 1.6 T&D rockers on my Indy EZ-1’s. When the motor was put together last year, the wrong set of rockers was ordered. The shop that built the motor ordered rockers for a 440-1 head. Those heads have an offset intake rocker and the exhaust rocker has the adjuster in the center. Not offset .080 like they should be. Rather then get a complete replacement set as should of been done, they just got the correct intake rockers and proper spacers and ran the existing 440-1 exhaust rocker. Also, the design of the 440-1 rocker gives it an angle where the pushrod is .150 shorter than the correct exhaust rocker, so the geometry has to be way off?
How I discovered this was when I backed everything off for the winter. I found all the exhaust pushrods were rubbing. This was a surprise as it is usually the intake side that causes issues because of tighter clearances. Wanting to correct this, I got 8 of the correct exhaust rockers and 8 more pushrods .150 longer. The attached photos show the difference. I have not ran again yet, but I am sure my issues will be fixed.
Any thoughts or opinions on what would have happened if I continued to run that incorrect exhaust rocker? Would wear be the same, or would it be increased because of the wrong working angle?
It worked how it was, but that does not mean it was right. I feel more at ease with the proper components installed.

7DC3C139-28A6-410B-B27B-5734E80A282A.jpeg 518C38DA-AD56-4C20-9D3E-08999C566233.jpeg 858F238A-CE6F-42E1-A298-26E06BBF39A0.jpeg

The rubbing part wasn’t ideal but, it couldn’t have been too bad because it didn’t hurt anything. Doubt you’ll notice any difference other than peice of mind. Any pics of the rubbing pushrods?

By the way, the -1 rockers are also offset.

09ACD165-5D84-4452-9763-1C32613F288B.jpeg
917C03AC-5C17-4303-9EC1-6456A745320B.jpeg

I will post 1 of the pushrods. That is strange. I see the exhaust rocker photos you provided are offset. As you can see the one that came off my engine is center.
From those I’ve spoke with some are in the camp that it’s fine if it works and others are correct the issue. It probably is a preference issue.

It isn’t bad, I didn’t want to grind to relieve while Head is still on engine and I didn’t want to pull it off either. I’m sure it is the offset and not the angle that is the issue.

E36FB428-4F53-488D-8FCC-483D1BFD670C.jpeg

It isn’t bad, I didn’t want to grind to relieve while Head is still on engine and I didn’t want to pull it off either. I’m sure it is the offset and not the angle that is the issue.

View attachment 582751

Yea that don’t look bad. Actually if you put longer pushrods in you increased the angle.

But has it really increased angle? That is what I am unsure of? If you look at my photo, look how much of a difference there is on the exhaust rockers. The intake is in the Photo also for a comparison. The rocker I pulled out is on a much different angle then the intake and the new exhaust rocker.
The rubbing of the pushrod is at the top of the head hole and I am sure it is on the side because of the improper offset.
The set they ordered is a 8210 and in the T&D Catologe it lists the exhaust rocker as on center. No offset.
The correct set is 8215 which has an .080 offset on the exhaust.

But has it really increased angle? That is what I am unsure of? If you look at my photo, look how much of a difference there is on the exhaust rockers. The intake is in the Photo also for a comparison. The rocker I pulled out is on a much different angle then the intake and the new exhaust rocker.
The rubbing of the pushrod is at the top of the head hole and I am sure it is on the side because of the improper offset.
The set they ordered is a 8210 and in the T&D Catologe it lists the exhaust rocker as on center. No offset.
The correct set is 8215 which has an .080 offset on the exhaust.

Absolutely if the push rod is longer given everything else being the same then the angle increased. It’s nothing to worry about though. You installed the correct rocker. You can see the offset from the lifter in this picture. Now some guys run offset lifters to help (mainly for intake) but again, shouldn’t be anything to bad on a wedge. Look at a hemi if you ever want to see an angle nightmare.

B2A5C9F9-F36E-46E5-9C4C-E35C68C24CB6.jpeg

Last edited:
I just happen to be measuring for pushrods on this one right now. I put one in so you can see.

C54F23FF-B84D-459A-BDCC-D427F2EC792F.jpeg

Ok. Makes sense. I think my contact issue is on the side of the hole, so getting the correct offset rocker should solve the contact issue. I’ve never had issue on the exhaust side before.
Thanks for the help.

Yes already have them.
Anyone need 8 440-1 exhaust rockers and 8 Manton pushrods?

Other than the contact I see no issue. Most engines have more pushrod angle than would be ideal. Take your choice. Big ports or angled pushrods. Port size wins everytime. Take a look at a SB Mopar. It doesn't get any worse. Plenty of them running 7500. Plenty of theories on ideal geometry . Even T&D and Jessel don't agree. As long as the valve tip is in the ball park and the rpm is resonable it'll usually fly. Think about any head with a fixed rocker stand. Ideal midlift geometry is the rocker C/L 90 degrees to the valve stem C/L at 50% lift. If the stand height is ideal at .400" total lift, it needs to be lowered .150" to be ideal at .600", lowered .200" at .800". So unless you have custom stands, the geometry is off anyway.
Doug

That makes sense.
I’ll see once it is running with the correct rocker if I have any contact. My guess is no and life will go on. But as you have just stated, with the exception on the contact issue, the way it was would probably have ran just as long with no issues.
Probably if the existing rockers had the .080 offset and not been centered, there would be no contact at all.
Probably no right or wrong way to do it, I’ll see how it all looks on the weekend.

Auto Transport Service
Back