• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust smell inside

Vanderstel

Local time
9:01 AM
Reaction score
So I finally took possession of a "new" 67 Satellite 318, just getting to know it. I'm happy, but I'm making my fix-it list and I had it out today and when I hit the throttle hard I'm getting a noticeable exhaust smell inside the car. I'll have to crawl under and see if there are any leaks, so I can't be 100% that's not my problem. It has dual exhaust out the back. I suppose I really getting it all the time, I just notice it more when I hit it hard.

Can anyone offer any obvious things to check? I suppose I should inspect the floor boards too, nothing is immediately obvious at this point, meaning I can't hear any exhaust leaks that sort of thing.

Thanks in advance...

Check trunk seal. Check for any missing body plugs. And hopefully not a rusted hole in the flooring.

I'll second the trunk seal. Chinesium seals don't work. Steele rubber products work well.

I taped it up with some blue painters tape, still getting it, but I didn't on the gas cap and the top of the trunk near the window. So I'll try that next. I guess I'll need to get it on a lift and inspect the floor and body plugs & exhaust pipes.

Have a look at the firewall too, maybe lay on the carpet and look under the dash while someone shines a torch in the engine bay. Any of the penetration seals for the steering column, brakes, wiring etc could be leaking.
I get some exhaust fumes in the car depending on what windows are down and how fast I'm going, but when I'm revving it to 6,000 rpm I can really smell it and for a minute afterwards - just a "engine working hard" exhaust and gas smell. Some of it is the nature of these old cars without catalytic converters I think.

Firewall missing hole plug or bad grommet

Floorplan rust holes, check under carpet

I want to look under the rear seat, I know it supposed to kinda go back and up, but the front of the seat goes all the way to the floor. Any videos to tips on getting the rear seat bottom out? I'm thinking the bottom comes out before the seat back, correct?

Push it back hard and lift the front. It’ll pull out of the grooves it’s in. Then pull forward and out. Arm rests and window cranks may need to be removed to get it the rest of the way out.

All the advice above is good. That trunk seal is usually candidate #1. I use a strip of paper and close it across the seal then try to pull it out. If it moves it leaks. If you simply can’t find it anywhere then close everything (heater off too) and hook the biggest shop vac you can find up to one of the triangle windows with duct tape. Use a bedbug duster (or other way of puffing small amounts of flour or talc) everywhere. Wash the car off then open it up. Where there’s dust there’s a leak.

Yes, the bottom removes first, then the bottom pushes back and up to disconnect from the floor hooks, it can be a tough job to unhook.
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back