• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust System for 79 Magnum

m79ded

Local time
2:56 AM
Reaction score
I need some advise on a complete exhaust system for a 79 Magnum. It's got a 440 in it with 68-70 B-Body manifolds.I changed the K-member years ago and it has the correct big block piece from a Cordoba.
I was looking @ TTI systems for a 71-74 B-Body and would like some input on this? Has anyone used this system in a late model B-Body? Do you think it would work?Any ideas where to find something that would work or should I just go to custom?

Thanks

All the late 70s stuff I've seen and the one on the 78 I had was custom. Not a lot of room back by the gas tank on these for duals, can be done though. Also if I remember there was a floorpan issue with duals. On my 300 (and probably the GTs then, I'm guessing) they used a smaller tank and did something with the floor to accomodate the duals - which is why the loaded 300s didn't have power seats (again, from what I've read). This may be due to the dual cats though - in which case you're ok on the floor.

You could do an AAR-type side exit and avoid that rear end pipe hassle. Or...

Me? A 79? Side pipes! Solved. :headbang:

Not sure of the rule of the dual exhaust and having a power seat, I've heard this before?
I have a 79 Red Magnum GT E58 with power Leather seat?! And had another 78 GT with a
400ci w/power leather that I sold. I also have a 79 300 with them. Not sure how this got out
there? Probability by the same guy that claims all Magnum GT's came with E58 360's???? lol - Not!

Here's the:
Fuel Tank Capacity (gallons)
1978 - 25.5
1979 - 21

m79ded, If your looking to a stock type system? Look at/for 78 Magnum GT's with 400ci or
77 or older big block Chargers

You are 100% correct with the gas tanks. Mine along with yours have the smaller tank and our cars originally came with dual exhaust. I remember the 78 with a 400 and it had a larger tank and was very difficult to pass the tailpipe on the drivers side.A few guys that I know that had 78's actually replaced their Gas tanks and put in a 79 tank to add clearance.

Unfortunately I have never ever seen a "P" code 78 Magnum with the 400HP, did it have dual from the factory??

My car is a Canadian car and weird as it seems with the Lax emission requirements that Canada had, never had Catalytic's,but crappy GM style air pump, so floor pan issues are not a problem and the car even has the correct floor pans and all.

Auto Transport Service
Back