• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Extra engine codes?

qkcuda

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:01 PM
Reaction score
The passenger side pad on my 361 had the normal codes, B 361 (1966) and a date code. Today I cleaned off the pad on the drivers side and found these other letters. Any idea what they mean?

IMG_20210228_121554.jpg IMG_20210228_121432.jpg

The 5 18 is the engine assembly date. May 18th, 1966.

The WT is for "water test"

The "X" may be for Oversize valve guides.

Thanks, I thought the second letter was a V, but you are right it seems like half an X. According to another source I found the X would signify .010 undersize crankshaft. There is no V listed so that must be it. I just replaced the heads with different castings, but we reused the original valves, and they were standard size.

Thanks, I thought the second letter was a V, but you are right it seems like half an X. According to another source I found the X would signify .010 undersize crankshaft. There is no V listed so that must be it. I just replaced the heads with different castings, but we reused the original valves, and they were standard size.

As I understand it, for it to be 0.010" undersize crank you would see BOTH a "Maltese Cross" and an "X" stamped together side by side.

An "X" stamped alone signifies Oversize valve guides. Sorry, that's the best I've got. :thumbsup:

Thanks again for your reply. The heads worked out so either way we're good.

Auto Transport Service
Back