• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eye Glasses

FlagCraig

Local time
6:07 AM
Reaction score
I had to buy prescription eye glasses and sunglasses about 4 years ago and was shocked at the cost. Insurance covered some but not a lot. Most of the coverage goes to the exam itself.

I'm in need of a new pair and went to the same eye doctor and he wrote me another script.

Has anyone bought prescription glasses on the internet? I have been told it is very economical.

Thanks.

I buy mine at places like Vision Works and even Walmart. It's cheaper than Pearl Vision but you get what you pay for. They have the eye exam also. It's all gotten to be a gimmick with all of these places. It's always about $200 or more each time. With safety glasses it will be over $400.

One thing I learned is to get the glare proofing. What a difference at night time driving.

I've never tried the online scripts. If they don't work out, how would you take them back?

I've been wearing prescription eyeglasses since first grade until my cataract surgery 2 years ago. At $400-$600.00, prescription eye glasses are a pure ripoff. There's no way that there is more than a hundred bucks of material there.

I wear glasses, but my right eye is a prosthetic so I screwed even more. Meaning, I need to wear polycarbonate lenses(bullet proof) due having just the one, but I have to get both lenses in poly cause it would look weird if I didn't.

Those damn things run me close to 400 each year. Yes, the VA will give me glasses, but they are really for birth control cause wearing what they have to offer, no woman would ever want ya!!

It's because Luxottica owns 80 percent of the Eyeglass and Sunglass market in the world. They own brands that you wouldn't think including Pearle Vision, Target Optical, Sears Optical, Lenscrafters and a whole lot more. They set the Market Price because of a monopoly.

Could you win a staring contest?

A3J8jop.gif

Last year I got a pair of lenses from the internet, had scratched up work glasses. Mailed them the glasses and they put new lenses in, polycarbonate with the glare coating for 40 bucks, got them back in a week. Can't remember the name of the company off hand.

Wife and son buy at Costco, not cheap but not crazy either.

Last edited:
Here's a question that I've always wanted to know the answer to.

Being a welder most of my life, it's a well known fact that glass or plastic blocks ultraviolet light. Welding arc emits very high concentrations of UV rays that will burn your skin and create blisters on your eye. (sand in your eye sensation).

So the question is, why do they say they will coat your lenses with a UV protectant and charge you for it? I've asked every optometrist that I've been to this guestion without an answer. They don't know. You pay extra for this every time you buy a new pair of glasses. You pay more for a quality pair of sunglasses because they have UV protectant.

I think it's a gimmick.

Auto Transport Service
Back