• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fabbing wheel tubs for my 66

66_B_Body4ever

Local time
11:52 PM
Reaction score
So I thought I'd take a couple of pic's of my ever so slow progress. After constructing one Tub I thought I'd take the opportunity to share how I accomplished the second one. It will take me time to put together a logical sequence that explains my step by step so for those that are interested be patient. My goal was to stuff a 12/13 inch tire inside the confines of my 66's 1/4 panel without moving the frame rails and maintaining rigidity or perhaps increasing rigidity across the wheel tub/kickup area. The wheel tub you see is constructed of 22 and 16 Gauge, I will explain more as I get into the construction. The car when I got ahold of it had already had the springs relocated and sub-frame connectors welded in and someone had cut the factory wheel tubs out with an oxy acetylene torch (yikes). So have a look, you'll eventually see my step by step. I have already welded in the left floor pan, the rest of the car is real solid with some rust in the right rear 1/4 I have to deal with but not a big deal. The car will go out for blasting (yes Donny if you're reading this media blasting...) once the tubs are finished which I hope is soon. I figure by posting this it should make me find the time to put everyone elses stuff aside and get after my own!

wheel.jpg

front fin tub.jpg

front unfin tub.jpg

rear fin tub.jpg

rear unfin tub.jpg

leftright comp.jpg

chopped wh.jpg

If I had a set of brass balls, I would have done the same for mine. Looks great!!!

That is exactly what these cars need! Looks great!!

looks great! keep it up!!

Jason

I thought about doing the same thing to my 67 GTX...I couldn,t get the balls to do it.....

It's not as tricky as you might think, I have made some templates up and once I find time will assemble the steps I took...Thanks for the prop's. I really like the look of a bigger tire tucked inside the 1/4's of the 66/67's. The pic of the wheel above is a 15"x10"x29.0". I will go with a 12" wide tire once I figure out where all the money went...

So, a 10.5W should go in without moving the frame rails....?

We put 33" diameter in our '70 and was suprised when the rear seat went in with minor cut, bend and weld of the seat spring frame. They are up to the frame rail, 18ga side panel, square corner pittsburgh seamed 22ga curved belt. The important part to get full width and tuck the tire up is to take out the outer portion and get rid of that big bump.

Nice job looks great.I see in the future big tires and lots of broken drive train parts.:VB toast:

WOW!!!
My 67 doesn't seem to have an issue with the wells, as much as rubbing the spring and wheel well lip itself..... HMM?

I can easily put a 12" wide tire in the wheelhouse. I have 13.5 inches overall from the frame rail to the wheel opening. Haven't done much lately, been working on everyone else's stuff... Maybe next week...lol

Boy I now how that goes!! Doing everyone elses stuff that is.

Looks like you got that nailed. Good work!

Not sure yet, I think I can modify the seat structure to make it look factory, just might not have the padding req'd. But hey, who needs back seat drivers anyway...

LOL, I hear that, but my 10 year old son loves it when I :3gears:, so he needs the back seat!!

Auto Transport Service
Back