• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fabricated Dash Woodgrain Replacements - 1968 8-Track GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCal440GTX

Local time
3:36 AM
Reaction score
Contact seller
After 3 longs months, hours on Autocad, hours and hours on Photoshop, test prints after test prints sent to print houses, laser cutting, water jetting and CNC machining, tests with Lexan and acrylic, casting molds, and trying drape thermo-forming, it all comes down to this choice.
These are dye sublimated high gloss aluminum sheets, water proof, scratch resistant, fade resistant, and just downright durable as hell. No peeling bubbly decals over plastic here. These will last forever.
The issue is the chrome pin striping. There is just no easy way to reproduce it. So, that leaves 2 choices:

1) Print to brushed aluminum finish - Left (The chrome areas are brushed Al)

2) Print to white finish - Right (The chrome areas are white)

#1 causes the woodgrain to appear brassy-copper.

#2 the woodgrain appears properly.

Please view the attached pics and videos and voice your opinions.

I will add the proper curvature to the piece to match the original after it is cut to shape.

20170807_215450.jpg

Both look great! I would prefer the silver stripe over the white stripe, even if the wood grain is lighter. I think a lighter color wood grain looks better than the darker too. Nice work!

holy crap! that looks great!! the right one looks more like the original.

if you start producing them, I may take an entire set for my GTX.

Great work indeed! I like them a lot....68 was a lighter woodgrain and 69 was the darker woodgrain...The original you have is a 69 piece....So both you have made are correct for those years....

Great work indeed! I like them a lot....68 was a lighter woodgrain and 69 was the darker woodgrain...The original you have is a 69 piece....So both you have made are correct for those years....

I am sure mine are 68 due to the radio faceplate having no labels. In my research I have found so many variations in both color and woodgraininess from set to set. 69s tend to have a slightly darker "redder" hue to them. Also the woodgrain tends to look more realistic. Some of the 68s I've seen don't look like wood at all. I am lucky as I have a set to use as a target.
I have an 8-track. If someone with a pushbutton radio wants to scan the front and back and take a caliper to it I will work on creating one for that too.
20170616_222040.jpg

I am sure mine are 68 due to the radio faceplate having no labels. In my research I have found so many variations in both color and woodgraininess from set to set. 69s tend to have a slightly darker "redder" hue to them. Also the woodgrain tends to look more realistic. Some of the 68s I've seen don't look like wood at all. I am lucky as I have a set to use as a target.
I have an 8-track. If someone with a pushbutton radio wants to scan the front and back and take a caliper to it I will work on creating one for that too.
View attachment 498850
Not doubting you a bit I am sure there are many variations.....but all the 68's I have seen had the lighter version....

I can send you a pushbutton plate if you want....I do not need it back....PM me your address...

Justin

sorry for the dumb question, but where will these go ?

1968 & 1969 Plymouth GTX & Sport Satellite.
Some Dodge Coronets & RT's had similar.

58967780-770-0@2X.jpg

I think it would look better without the chrome/white pinstriped; just woodgrain and black. That would be way better than anything I've seen. My car is not a numbers matching original. So, I just care about the 3 pieces matching the other woodgrain in the car (door panels and console).

Here's an example of a 1969 Coronet R/T dash. The woodgrain looks quite a bit darker in person. I guess the digital camera flash makes it appear lighter.

That console woodgrain in the photo (2013) was replaced this spring.

Restored dash MAY 2013.JPG

They both look great. Are you laying down the black base on both prior to the woodgrain? Curious why the white base would look darker as a finished product.

They both look great. Are you laying down the black base on both prior to the woodgrain? Curious why the white base would look darker as a finished product.

"The image is first printed onto a transfer paper and then is adhered to pretreated aluminum.
The aluminum and transfer paper are placed into a custom heat press, which is heated to temperatures exceeding 380 degrees Fahrenheit. While being subjected to extreme heat and pressure, the dyes from the transfer paper turn into a gas, are pressed into the surface of the metal, and then solidify into the treated aluminum. As the dyes cool they are permanently infused beneath the surface of the metal substrate."

http://www.blazing.com/metal-prints.html

BTW...I do not use this company but there is a lot of info there.

I think it is because the metal finish reflects more light back to your eye than the white finish does.

awesome job. very impressive. I to like the alum. stripe over the white stripe. Both great though!

If someone has access to waterjet services at reasonable rates please contact me.

After 3 longs months, hours on Autocad, hours and hours on Photoshop, test prints after test prints sent to print houses, laser cutting, water jetting and CNC machining, tests with Lexan and acrylic, casting molds, and trying drape thermo-forming, it all comes down to this choice.
These are dye sublimated high gloss aluminum sheets, water proof, scratch resistant, fade resistant, and just downright durable as hell. No peeling bubbly decals over plastic here. These will last forever.
The issue is the chrome pin striping. There is just no easy way to reproduce it. So, that leaves 2 choices:

1) Print to brushed aluminum finish - Left (The chrome areas are brushed Al)

2) Print to white finish - Right (The chrome areas are white)

#1 causes the woodgrain to appear brassy-copper.

#2 the woodgrain appears properly.

Please view the attached pics and videos and voice your opinions.

I will add the proper curvature to the piece to match the original after it is cut to shape.

View attachment 498814

Would be willing to pay for a three piece set for 1969 gtx mine is one of 61 ever made money no problem bought three piece decal set total junk, I don't care what it costs please call me Phone number removed by staff. Send socal440GTX a personal message. ask for Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back