• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory AC - Vintage Air vs Rebuild

dspur

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:40 PM
Reaction score
69B Factory air 4 speed - bench seat. I had previously posted about rebuilding the heater a/c box. I have ordered the kit and have those dollars invested already. Someone (non mopar) recommended I check with Vintage Air. They have a system that appears complete for $1,500. On mine, I still need to get the heater core re-done, need an evaporator, need the heater/ac controls rebuilt (cosmetically and otherwise), and have no idea of the condition of the compressor. I am assuming it works but yet to be tested. I am pretty much guaranteed to have more in this than the Vintage Air, but I'd like anyone's experience with either or both. Also, what do the vintage air controls look like? Any pics?
I will have to have the vents refurbished either way. Found a source for that (if I don't tackle it myself); Tommy White, $425 total all three. Mine are rough but workable.
Lastly, I STILL need middle dash pad with A/C vent. I have emailed, called, almost everywhere to no avail so far.

I would stick with factory. Classic makes factory upgrade kit that includes everything underhood and an evaporator for about $1200. You can buy the pieces from Bouchillon also. I've seen the center vents on ebay, so they are out there.

I would stick with factory. Classic makes factory upgrade kit that includes everything underhood and an evaporator for about $1200. You can buy the pieces from Bouchillon also. I've seen the center vents on ebay, so they are out there.
Thanks, I will check out Classic and Bouchillon (not familiar with them). The lower middle dash pad for ac is proving to be illusive so far...

Aftermarket kits do not route A/C and heater lines as factory did. They shoot them out through the opening in the inner fender ahead of the front A-arm. Then, the ports go through the firewall under the front fender. Both Classic and Vintage Air do this. The area on your firewall where the factory lines went through is then covered with a plate. I have been putting Vintage Air system in my 1964 Dodge Polara. Nobody makes a drop-in kit for this application, so I have been noodling it out for myself. I figured out a way of plumbing all lines underhood. All major components are now mounted, so it is a matter of plumbing lines and completing electrical hook-up. Both of these companies have a site for looking up individual parts. If your car already had factory air, you are ahead of the game as far as pulleys and alternator brackets go. You will still need a custom bracket from Vintage Air to mount a new rotary compressor to your engine.

Thanks, don't really like the idea or rerouting lines...prob stick with factory.

Don't know if this helps - mine is a '66 Belvedere - but I rebuilt my Heater-A/C system for a little under $500. Heater core was flushed and checked, picked up an evaporator for about $200, bought a seal/gasket rebuild kit from DMT for $100 and a local shop went through my compressor for $100. I did, however, have to rebuild the controller as '66/'67 controllers are scarce and expensive, if you can find one. '68 and newer controllers are more readily available. Also had to clean and adjust the Rube Goldberg vacuum pods system. A lot of time and patience went into it, but I learned how the system works so when it stops working I'll know how to fix it. NOTE: I have not fired the thing up yet but in theory it should work.

Put classic air in my runner. Vintage air would have had to cut the glove box liner down but not with classic. Simple enough to run lines under hood. Went out where the old ones would have gone. No cable's to mess with for control's. Every thing is electrical servos. Here is a pic of my control and this was a non A/C car. Could not find a non A/C dash pad so have the A/C pad but did not use the opening for the center air vent's will cover that area with a trim plate soon.
IMG_0103.JPG

The term "ice cold AC" originated with Mopar RV2 systems.

Man I would LOVE to have a factory 4 speed AC Super Bee.

Put classic air in my runner. Vintage air would have had to cut the glove box liner down but not with classic. Simple enough to run lines under hood. Went out where the old ones would have gone. No cable's to mess with for control's. Every thing is electrical servos. Here is a pic of my control and this was a non A/C car. Could not find a non A/C dash pad so have the A/C pad but did not use the opening for the center air vent's will cover that area with a trim plate soon. View attachment 1116017

Thinking I should consider air in my 68 road runner. Does the classic unit cool your car ok ? I’m sorry I didn’t notice where you live before I started this. I’m in southern Missouri, it was 90 plus and humid here today. Thanks. Oops...now I see you’re in Florida! If it cools you there, I’m sure it will work for me ! Thanks again

Just to say we are getting into the heat now for sure. I will get to drive the car tomorrow for the first time. Won't go to far just for a test and will run the A/C. So far it feel's like it will do the job. It use's the air inside the car and not air from out side. Figure a 4 mile drive one way should give me a good idea of how it is going to work. We where about 110 today with the humidity added in. blue69runner

Just to say we are getting into the heat now for sure. I will get to drive the car tomorrow for the first time. Won't go to far just for a test and will run the A/C. So far it feel's like it will do the job. It use's the air inside the car and not air from out side. Figure a 4 mile drive one way should give me a good idea of how it is going to work. We where about 110 today with the humidity added in. blue69runner

How'd it go??

It was working good. But too busy trying to get my fuel and carb set right. Then will be able to check the air. My buddy that filled it says we must of had an air bubble some where and will fill it again. It cooled for a while then not so much. But a new system need's to be checked after putting into service.

I put the Vintage Air setup into the '69 Coronet convertible because it was a non-A/C car.
If you have a factory A/C car, I would keep the original A/C box and controls, but upgrade the under hood parts for the newer stuff.

FWIW, here is my thoughts on the Vintage Air system. I like the electronic controls, and that the non-air car now has air, but the evaporator box only pull air from inside the vehicle, like being on re-circulate all the time. The factory fresh air inlet is blocked off with a plate as part of the kit.
Also, I don't like the under the fender hose routing and that the evaporator requires a shallow glove box insert.
I think, I can use one of the a/c bulkheads to re-route the lines under the hood, and just make my own lines.
The under the fender routing looks like it was done to save money and make installation easier.

Classic air hoses came out where your heater hoses are on the fire wall. Just had to drill a few more hole's for routing. Did not have to cut glove box down at all. Over all a simple insulation. Still cap off the fresh air from the lower cowl. Yes plate is supplied in the kit.

I put the Vintage Air setup into the '69 Coronet convertible because it was a non-A/C car.
If you have a factory A/C car, I would keep the original A/C box and controls, but upgrade the under hood parts for the newer stuff.

FWIW, here is my thoughts on the Vintage Air system. I like the electronic controls, and that the non-air car now has air, but the evaporator box only pull air from inside the vehicle, like being on re-circulate all the time. The factory fresh air inlet is blocked off with a plate as part of the kit.
Also, I don't like the under the fender hose routing and that the evaporator requires a shallow glove box insert.
I think, I can use one of the a/c bulkheads to re-route the lines under the hood, and just make my own lines.
The under the fender routing looks like it was done to save money and make installation easier.
Good info. Thanks

Aftermarket kits do not route A/C and heater lines as factory did. They shoot them out through the opening in the inner fender ahead of the front A-arm. Then, the ports go through the firewall under the front fender. Both Classic and Vintage Air do this.
No, they don't....unless the customer requests it.

This is my setup from Classic Auto Air. The compressor is in the stock location, the A/C pulleys fit and work like stock.

CAA 9.jpg

The routing of the lines can me changed to suit the application. I ran my liquid line from the compressor to the condenser a bit different than they suggested, same with the line from the condenser to the evaporator.

I had a vintage air setup in dads charger. After fighting with it for a few years got fed up and put a factory non-ac setup back in. The car had the vintage air stuff in it when we got it. But yes re-circ all the time so when it’s not extremely hot the windows tend to fog up. The a/c install was messy and wiring was a disaster. It hits 105+ here only a few days of the year. Most of the time 96 is the hottest it gets here and even more days 86 or less. So ac in the muscle car not needed. I like the factory non ac and windows open with the floor vents open just make sure you not stuck in traffic and all is good! If i had a car with factory A/C I’d keep it and maybe upgrade the I hood parts if needed

Auto Transport Service
Back