• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory Appearing Hot Rod distributor

JC Childress

Local time
10:01 AM
Reaction score
What does everyone do to retain the factory looking distributor but still make it do a fantastic job ? I'm speaking of a mildly built 383. I see the pertronix stuff and wondered if anyone had any experience with them. We are MSD dealers here but I want to retain the factory look.

Thanks for any and all advice.

A proper rebuild by an experienced distributor restoration guy....One that knows what "Dwell" means and how to adjust...

2 members here do a fantastic job

1. @62MAX

2. @HALIFAXHOPS

Dont be scared to run points.....I run them and zero issues

I put a pertronix in mine.
Wanted to maintain the stock appearance.
I'm not a big fan of giant red Chinese distributors.

pertronix is fairly simple. re-curving isn't difficult either. I did a point distributor for a mild 383 build last summer; works great!

Yep, running Pertronix in the Hemi.Just about as stock looking as you can get.
Sorry, crappy photo.

IMG_2732.jpg

JC Childress

What exactly what do you want, I can do a easy rebuild basically a working core, nice looking for shows ( semi polished) or 100 point? I curve with factory parts the only thing I do not do is put a tag on a clone that is on the buyer.

What is wrong with the Mopar Electronic Ignition distributor and then hide the ECU box? Or are we only talking points distributors? I have a tan cap on my Charger distributor and it looks pretty close to stock minus the wires for the electronics.

I have used Pertronix in both of mine with no issues.

Auto Transport Service
Back