• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory disks brakes on 67 Charger

Dave383

Local time
3:49 AM
Reaction score
I have 67 Charger with with factory front disk D9 option but no H1 option for assisted brakes. Is it possible that the brakes were assisted from factory if there is no H1 on the fender tag?

You can see what I have in the car in the picture. It looks like leaking cardone master attached to probably replica of Bendix booster. There is something that looks like proportioning valve but I am not 100% sure. No adjustment on it and it is not stock Mopar piece. Brakes work but pedal has only 1-2 inches of travel so brake fluid almost certainly destroyed the booster. All was done by shop for previous owner about 10 years. I will check the booster on weekend when I get vacuum tester back to me.

What would you do to fix the system? Go back to manual or just replace the setup new components? Maybe smaller booster to have more brake feel?
I don't like over-assisted brakes but Charger is heavy car and I have no experience with manual brakes on anything that weighs over 1200 kg / 2700 lbs. I was thinking to go with http://mbmbrakes.com/mp-715-mopar-universal-b-e-body-dodge-truck-trapezoid-booster-conversion-kit/ minus the brackets that I already have on the car. Alternative is pretty much the same thing just without the booster and save 250.

Thx

PXL_20210724_210441070.jpg

I have manual SSBC discs on the front of my 66 with a manual 70 style master.
It stops pretty well and my pedal only moves about an inch.

Good to know that it is behaving as it should for manual brakes, thx.
I have it "manualized" by the dead booster :D but stepping hard on the pedal still locks up all four corners as it should.

I did some more investigation and it looks like that factory setup for 67 always has assisted brakes together with disks. If Mopar parts catalog does not lie.:rolleyes:
Master should be 2881 868 - Dorman M71297 is listed as compatible and it is cheap!
Booster should be 2881 547 - I am still looking for original manufacturer of the Bendix style boosters. MBM Brakes are probably not it.

I am still looking for original manufacturer of the Bendix style boosters. MBM Brakes are probably not it.

Good luck with that. They are few and far between for originals. There was repo for a while - the register hole is a different size, requiring a repo firewall plate. Ugh.

Good luck with that. They are few and far between for originals. There was repo for a while - the register hole is a different size, requiring a repo firewall plate. Ugh.

I maybe found one forgotten factory booster refurbished by Cardone on sale. They don't even list it on Cardone website anymore but it should be the older factory type used until 69 or 70. To be honest I give it 1 in 3 change to be correct and working part ... one has to be optimist :D.

Auto Transport Service
Back