• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

factory oil filters... painted with engine or not?

Was the filter painted on the engine or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

resq302

Local time
2:59 AM
Reaction score
I'm having a debate with a friend of mine whether or not the factory installed oil filter (green textured one) was painted or not when the engine was painted as the assembly. I seen factory pics where you can clearly see the filter is the textured green one but he says it wouldn't have made sense for them not to paint it as the fuel pump and exhaust manifolds were painted on the engine as well. So was the filter painted on the engine like the rest of the parts, masked off and masking removed, or filter installed afterwards with some kind of plate / cover installed to keep the gasket surface clean of paint?

Who is right?

My Uncle obtained a brand new 1970 Challenger RT 383 that was totaled during delivery to the dealership. (Long story) Anyway, we kept the engine stored for many years and I finally put it into a project car in the late eighties. I should have took pics for reference, but didn't care about that kind of stuff then. I remember the factory oil filter was plain black and had the orange overspray on it.

Hi Brian. The oil filters were not painted as an assembly. Unlike the "hard" parts like the Fuel Pump, Exhaust Manifolds, etc....... the Filters protruded away from the Block and could have been damaged during shipment to the various Assembly Plants. I have a few colored Factory photos that show the "green" filters on the Engine after they have been assembled.

Hi Dave,

Glad you could chime in! I agree with you the pics I have seen from the factory assembly lines have all shown a green filter on them and none have had paint or over spray on it.

I was fortunate enough to work at Chrysler's Trenton engine plant in the 60's and 70's and I can tell you the engines that were shipped out had a plastic baggie and rubber band on the oil pump filter surface.

The engines were ran on what was referred to as the merry-go-round and they had cleanable oil filters that were used there. There was only exhaust manifolds and no silencers of any kind which made for a noisy work environment. I hated it when I had to work up there because when it was time to go home you could not hear if your car had started so you had to have a tachometer or run the risk of tearing up the starter bendix and flywheel teeth.
Sorry for the run on I can't seem to stop once I get going LOL

That's the shortest run on I've read. BTW, how's your hearing these days?

That price is for the cheap green filter. The white & blue filters are apparently lined with gold....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1970-1-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c9225ab3&vxp=mtr

OMFG people are nuts/greedy, maybe $299 Platinum lined instead

- - - Updated - - -

if those are actually even selling, I/we should start a re-production re-painted Mopar Oil filter supply company with 10,000 X cost, profit gouging company, we could undercut them & sell them for $150 & clean up...LOL... only make 5,000 profit

that's stupid ridiculously priced... $175 for an oil filter, we wonder why Mopar people get a bad rap...

You think that's bad?!? In 2006 I paid $1525 for a "perfect" one used for my Challenger OE project. (Shown in the bottom picture in the link below.) I got a "good deal" for the one used for my Valiant project in 2009 and only had to pay $600 for that one. At the time, there was no choice! You either paid what the Market was asking or you had to use an incorrect Service replacement unit.

http://www.moparaction.com/Article/PoP/PoP.html

I'd use an incorrect one or I'd make a copy or even pay someone to duplicate the correct one, long before I would get ripped off like that, that absolutely ridiculous & sheer greed or utter stupidity, not sure which... no thanks, not for me

You think that's bad?!? In 2006 I paid $1525 for a "perfect" one used for my Challenger OE project. (Shown in the bottom picture in the link below.) I got a "good deal" for the one used for my Valiant project in 2009 and only had to pay $600 for that one. At the time, there was no choice! You either paid what the Market was asking or you had to use an incorrect Service replacement unit.

http://www.moparaction.com/Article/PoP/PoP.html
WOW that's an awesome challenger !! How long did it take you to find all the NOS parts ??:beavisnbutthead:

That is a nice Challenger thou ECS...

.....long before I would get ripped off like that.....

I didn't get ripped off. I had the option to say "no" to his asking price but wanted the correct part for the restoration so I opted to buy it.

- - - Updated - - -

WOW that's an awesome challenger !! How long did it take you to find all the NOS parts ??:beavisnbutthead:

A little less than a year.

Why haven't you bought these deals up yet?

If you're referring to the ones that some of the Members have posted in earlier photos, they are not the Assembly Line versions. They are Service Parts.

That's the shortest run on I've read. BTW, how's your hearing these days?

Not real good as they ring constantly, but it is a good excuse when the wife wants me to do some chore and wants to know why I didn't do it I tell her " I didn't hear you. lol

I myself voted no. why? I'm a painter, and have done industrial painting for many years and such things were painted with no such in place. WHY? WELL a loto f reasons, one you had a seal certain paint types (back then) had WAY harsher chemicals then we have today) that would eat the seal, AND they would merely "wipe" off any over spray in that area to gain a good seal depending on paint thickness in or around the area.

BUT I don't even think the oil filter "mount" would have been on the motor at that time as at the painting stage, a lot of times, anything that "protruded out from the block removed for handling, to keep from breakage, and snapping off mount bolts. Causing a lot of CQ re-work to remedy the issue once it had happened.

THEN, if they did paint with the oil filter on, as I recall, a white filter from Mopar, being all white with no over spray, and at the time of spraying, it had been done with speed........they didn't care when the paint was airborn, if and what it hit/got on. they simply cleaned up, latter.......

So again, I'm still with my voted "no"

Auto Transport Service
Back