• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory original MOPAR EFI on you Vintage Mopar?????

Danny Boy

Secret of life is enjoying the passage of time JT
Local time
11:50 AM
Reaction score
How many of you have SUCCESSFULLY installed a FACTORY OEM EFI you SBM (or BBM)?

Does one exist?

A previous thread named " A little different twist... has anyone went to EFI and regretted it"
prompted me to ask this question.

Does MOPAR have a turn-key passenger car/truck EFI system(Hardware, looms, processors),(not current HEMI) for use in SBM (318,340 360) engines.

With all the bantering about aftermarket EFI working/not working are there FACTORY original MOPAR EFI systems that have/can be successfully installed?

If so, results?

If not, why?

Please educate me as I'd sure like to install a factory developed, proven, useable EFI in lieu of installing an aftermarket "one size fits all" EFI and all their real or perceived problems

Please elaborate

Talk to BluePrint Engines.....they sell hundreds with the Holley Sniper installed as an option.

Confirmation from @Johnny Mac :thumbsup:

I have one of their offerings - a 408 SB Chrysler with the Sniper.

Correct, original Factory MOPAR EFI..., thanks

As stated earlier, too much arguing about AFTERMARKET EFI's and am looking for an OEM Mopar EFI...

If there isn't a OEM MOPAR EFI, I'm ok with that

Thanks for your input

PS About the TBI (Thanks Photon440)- does this use OEM Mopar components in combination with their parts?

Comments??

Anybody use on of these??

Is this kit just another aftermarket kit?

PS(Again) I suspect if there was an OEM MOPAR EFI out there everybody would already be using instead of purchasing aftermarket

My son had a 1990 dodge 1/2 ton that had factory throttle body fuel injection on an la 318. There were only a few years that they used these until they went to the Magnum engines with direct injection into the intake manifold.

Are Magnum engine EFI's a bolt on for SBM's?

If so, why aren't folks using these instead of aftermarket EFI's?

IMHO, the quality and ease of aftermarket makes shoehorning a factory system a non-starter. I have the Edelbrock Proflow 4. It integrates fuel and timing control via a tablet, way easier than having to replace a PROM every time you want to make a change. Even with today's price increases it's still gives modern engine management at a great value.

Same reason why GM guys don't use the original TBI on their engines. The retrofit and computer are not user friendly.

If you want "sbm with factory efi" , then take everything drivetrain wise +computer wiring out of a 5.9 magnum truck.
Voila, question answered.

He just asked how to make it happen. Didn't seem concerned if it would suck.

IMHO, the quality and ease of aftermarket makes shoehorning a factory system a non-starter. I have the Edelbrock Proflow 4. It integrates fuel and timing control via a tablet, way easier than having to replace a PROM every time you want to make a change. Even with today's price increases it's still gives modern engine management at a great value.

Thank you.
This is exactly the reason I was inquiring about an OEM factory system.

Appears to me that there were/are many "nay sayers" regarding after market EFI's and also regarding OEM Mopar EFI's.

Thanks
If you want "sbm with factory efi" , then take everything drivetrain wise +computer wiring out of a 5.9 magnum truck.
Voila, question answered.

Appears for those wanting a stock EFI for their SBM the the most fool proof EFI is from a EFI Magnum...........

Are there any members out there that have done this?

Results?

Thanks

Mopar offered high performance computers for the old Magnum engines but not sure what's out there anymore. Someone mentioned tuning ability with the factory stuff just isn't there. A buddy has a hard running RT Dakota with a performance computer but don't know how long he's had it Another buddy has a 94 Dakota turbo 318 that has run 9.9x in the past but it's not using a factory EFI. The RT isn't even close to running low 12's....and I think Mopar Performance has turned it's head away from the Magnum EFI technology. I could be wrong but I sure haven't heard much from anyone that is even trying to mess with the old Magnum stuff anymore.

Auto Transport Service
Back