• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory original MOPAR EFI on you Vintage Mopar?????

One of my projects is a Gen3 Hemi into my Satellite. I have options - convert to carb; convert to aftermarket EFI using factory intake and injectors; convert to aftermarket EFI using aftermarket intake and a TBI; or harvest all the wiring, sort through the harnesses, get the computers customized (to eliminate security, wheelspeed sensors/traction control, ABS, and other features), and use the factory EFI.

The factory stuff is VERY proprietary, and extremely difficult to work with / modify - and that's why a lot of people shy away from factory stuff.

There are some guys out there who have hacked the factory SBEC's for the old 2.2/2.5 turbo engines, but that involves removing (unsoldering) the main CPU chip, putting in a socket, and burning new chips with different programs on them. Possible? Yep. Easy? Nope.

Done right, the aftermarket EFI works just fine - just set it up right. If you only speak carburetor...find someone who speaks EFI to set it up for you. It's like going to Paris and expecting them to speak English for you - you have to do the work to learn the language.

One of my projects is a Gen3 Hemi into my Satellite. I have options - convert to carb; convert to aftermarket EFI using factory intake and injectors; convert to aftermarket EFI using aftermarket intake and a TBI; or harvest all the wiring, sort through the harnesses, get the computers customized (to eliminate security, wheelspeed sensors/traction control, ABS, and other features), and use the factory EFI.

The factory stuff is VERY proprietary, and extremely difficult to work with / modify - and that's why a lot of people shy away from factory stuff.

There are some guys out there who have hacked the factory SBEC's for the old 2.2/2.5 turbo engines, but that involves removing (unsoldering) the main CPU chip, putting in a socket, and burning new chips with different programs on them. Possible? Yep. Easy? Nope.

Done right, the aftermarket EFI works just fine - just set it up right. If you only speak carburetor...find someone who speaks EFI to set it up for you. It's like going to Paris and expecting them to speak English for you - you have to do the work to learn the language.
Another option for the Gen III 5.7 or 6.4 could be the factory kits that include all the sensors, throttle pedal, power train modules and wiring etc. as a complete package designed to use these engines in older vehicles. Look for PN 77072454AC for the 392 kit and PN 77072455AG for the smaller engine. Stellantis says the price is $1,795 but moparpartsgiant.com has them for $1534.44.

From MoparConnectionMagazine:

Mopar has just announced a complete game changer for modern HEMI swaps with their new Mopar Crate HEMI Engine Kits that provide enthusiasts with a factory-backed, budget oriented plug and play option for putting Gen III HEMI engines into 1960’s and 1970’s Mopar vehicles. Their awesome all-new Mopar 345 Crate HEMI Engine Kit for the 5.7L HEMI engine and Mopar 392 Crate HEMI Engine Kit for the 6.4L HEMI can be paired with all 1975 and older Mopar vehicles! Each kit includes a power distribution center, a powertrain control module (PCM), engine and chassis wiring harnesses, an accelerator pedal, O2 sensors, ground jumper, charge air temperature sensor and in-depth information sheets on installation.

MP016_035MB9iia61v573i0ses59d92e8kiip-650x433.jpg

True.

Still not tuneable like the aftermarket kits, however. Basically a Mopar-branded, un-tuneable, "aftermarket" kit.

True.

Still not tuneable like the aftermarket kits, however. Basically a Mopar-branded, un-tuneable, "aftermarket" kit.
are you sure the new computer is locked?
You can buy a new unlocked hellcat computer..

On the original question, I built a Jeep 4.2 with a 4.0 head & mild cam for my brother's '88 Wrangler. Swapped in the EFI from an '89 Cherokee. It ran pretty well out of the box (Cherokees are boxy). Older EFI systems use fewer sensors than newer ones, with 1996 (OBD-II) being a major transition year. Diablo has custom tuners for newer Mopars.

I wouldn't mind having a factory EFI for my SBM just for street/highway driving.
A factory plug and play... Get in the car and drive!
Tuneability not a big priority, just a reliable system that doesn't take any attention or issues seen with aftermarket systems.
Thanks for all your comments

Any and all comments appreciated

I wouldn't mind having a factory EFI for my SBM just for street/highway driving.
A factory plug and play... Get in the car and drive!
Tuneability not a big priority, just a reliable system that doesn't take any attention or issues seen with aftermarket systems.
Thanks for all your comments

Any and all comments appreciated
As a data point, I've done several EFI conversions and have seen little to no issues. The worst thing I had to do as update firmware in my very first one. It didn't need it, I just wanted the newer features. I' ve used Go EFI and Edelbrock Proflow 4. GoEFI is super easy, goes on just like a carb. Sperctre makes an EFI ready gas tank, just swap it out, plumb up some fuel lines and done.

Auto Transport Service
Back