• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory Service Manual and Other Tech Items

cr8crshr

Local time
9:01 AM
Reaction score
I have been noticing a trend recently here on FBBO and the other sites where questions are asked about this and that in regards to working on our rides. How many here actually have reference tools to help with repairs, mods, replacements, inspections, etc.? Mainly, who here has a FSM [Factory Service Manual], Color Wiring Schematic, Tech Bulletins, etc. to use when doing your projects and working on your cars? To me it is a no-brainer whether or not to have them. I do and rely on them exclusively along with Tech info from Forums such as ours. Really...How can one even imagine that they can fix, replace, or repair anything mechanical without some sort of procedural reference? I ask this because of my extensive background and training with the AF as both a Flyer and a Mechanic. I would be lost without anything that would guide me through a fix. Seems more and more that there is a lack of "Looking it up for one's self" or not doing the basic move of spending the $$$$'s for reference items. My MOPAR Library is rather large but when I am working on my ride, I have all the info needed to do it correctly and easily. Why...I even have purchased tools specific to MOPAR just to make it go along smoothly. Just curious is all....:blob1:

Last edited:
You would be surprised by how many guys at the dealer won't otfb. I don't mind helping someone out that is stuck, and i get stuck as well, but a lot of the problems guys have could be solved by using the service manual properly. A friend of mine always says he who has the most info wins. Nobody is expected to know everything, but knowing where to get the info you need is key.

I have all kinds of auto/truck repair manuals from Motor's to Chiltons but have very few factory manuals but do have one for my 97 Dodge diesel and a couple for cars I don't own anymore. I need to get one for my 2000 Durango but I also get repair info from the internet.

REBAL..."OTFB" and "RTFQ" have always been the operative words in my world. Too bad more and more individuals are so reluctant to explore and search for needed information. Why...I even have an original set of Encyclopedia Britannica that was passed down to me by my Folks. I dare say that the up and comers in this world wouldn't even know what they were for let alone how to use one. Same with the Dewey Decimal System. Yeah...I know I am dating myself, but in the whole sphere of things, it would seem to me that the more reference materials used would help increase the knowledge gained. Now days it seems that the "Computer/iPhone/iPad," etc. is what is used. Very good tools in their own right, but can you download a FSM to a KINDLE???? To the younger members here...Read The Freakin' Book.....just my 2 cents....:dink:

I totally agree. I have had FSM for all but one of the cars I've had, and I keep them when I sell the cars. And, the Mopar manuals are a lot better than some of the GM ones i've had.

There used to be some that were rare and expensive. But now with so many being reprinted and available on CD, it is a no brainer for me too.

1508...Illinois East-side??? Me North-side Suburbs...East-side would be the Big Lake....cr8crshr/Tuck

I have all kinds of auto/truck repair manuals from Motor's to Chiltons but have very few factory manuals but do have one for my 97 Dodge diesel and a couple for cars I don't own anymore. I need to get one for my 2000 Durango but I also get repair info from the internet.
Crap. If i had known you were looking, i could have gotten you one. At the chrysler training facility here they are emptying the shelves of all the manuals since everything is online now. If they are still there the next time i am there(no training scheduled at the moment so cant say what will be left when i get back) i will try and snag you one. I will ship it, the cost of the ride is on you. The book will be free

1508...Illinois East-side??? Me North-side Suburbs...East-side would be the Big Lake....cr8crshr/Tuck

Geesh...all you Chee-ca-go guys forget there's more to Illinois south of Joliet! I'm down here where they grow all the corn...you know, that's the stuff they use to make Old Style Beer. LOL Just gotta rib ya a little.

Metro-East is the St. Louis suburbs. Point your Mopar down 55 sometime and we'll fill you up on Busch Beer, good pizza, and winning baseball teams!-John

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_East

Crap. If i had known you were looking, i could have gotten you one. At the chrysler training facility here they are emptying the shelves of all the manuals since everything is online now. If they are still there the next time i am there(no training scheduled at the moment so cant say what will be left when i get back) i will try and snag you one. I will ship it, the cost of the ride is on you. The book will be free
:hello2::headbang:

I have a bunch of factory books as well as the Chiltons and Motor books that I've collected over the years. Even if I sell a car I keep the manual for reference. When I restored my 72 Porsche 911 I bought the $350.00 factory manual set, which ended up being five books total with all the supplements. It was a ton of money for those books but there was no way I would have got that engine right without the factory info!

I am more than readyto share what I have. But and it is a BIG but. The person MUST be a regular contributing member of this board. I have had too many dance on in and ask for stuff and dissapear never to be heard from again. I feel it is a give and take thing. Everyone weather they know it or not has something to share. If one helps someone else, I'll help them and another person will help me.We will all do better, we will all grow togeather.It really bothers me to spend valueable time and resources on someone who only takes and never gives back to the community, I personally do not need or want from those who I give to, I just want them to give to others. A rising tide lifts all boats

I've learned when you give somebody something, you have to do it with zero strings attached. Doing it with conditions always leads to disappointment.

I have the FSM for my Bee & Chilton's for the daily drivers...FSM is great but do ask questions for real world experience in how people go at a particular piece.

I think I know what Jessi is talking about. I have this buddy that isn't down and out by any means but is always first in line for a freebie and never ever gives up any of his own time to anyone but himself. That's the kind of people I like to see stuck in the mud and I just don't happen to have a chain to help them get out of it. With that said, I have a Hitachi 31" TV that works good and is free for the taking :D

Yeah. I know what you mean. I have a friend I bought a shotgun from years ago to help him get by. Gave him 250 bucks for it. About a year or so later, he calls me up and says he wants to buy it back. So I told him sure, it's here when you want it. He comes over and only has 225 so me trying to be a good friend let him have it. I said something about it like 6 months later. He says well I figured it depreciated at least 25 while you had it. There are always those who will take advantage.

I think I know what Jessi is talking about. I have this buddy that isn't down and out by any means but is always first in line for a freebie and never ever gives up any of his own time to anyone but himself. That's the kind of people I like to see stuck in the mud and I just don't happen to have a chain to help them get out of it. With that said, I have a Hitachi 31" TV that works good and is free for the taking :D

Yeah. I know what you mean. I have a friend I bought a shotgun from years ago to help him get by. Gave him 250 bucks for it. About a year or so later, he calls me up and says he wants to buy it back. So I told him sure, it's here when you want it. He comes over and only has 225 so me trying to be a good friend let him have it. I said something about it like 6 months later. He says well I figured it depreciated at least 25 while you had it. There are always those who will take advantage.

Sounds like I guy I know nicknamed Buckwheat, Cr8crshr knows. Biggest tool i've ever seen cause it's all about him!

Auto Transport Service
Back