• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory style Mopar Battery, keep it or have it taken away?

MoparGuy68

Local time
1:47 PM
Reaction score
When I bought this car it came with a Factory Mopar Battery (reproduction I am pretty sure). The previous owner had this battery sitting in his garage unused for 11 years. When I hooked my volt meter up to it, it is only putting out 1/4 of 1 volt, basically a dead battery.

I cleaned all the dust off of it and took some photos. Have no idea how to remove the round red caps. They don't rotate and I don't see how to pry them off.. I have a manual battery charger which is the only type of charger that I believe would have a hope of bringing it back to life.

I have city hazardous waste pick-up coming tomorrow morning to remove old gasoline and coolant from my garage. Should I have them take away this battery too? I suspect it is about 15 to 20 years old.. With the red caps I guess it was meant for a Hemi or 440.. Dimensions are 12"L x 6.75"W x 8"H. It's big and heavy..

Top says: 27-MB-70, CAT NO. 2444607, A-27B. My car was built in Sept 1970.

And a few pics of the 3 year old NAPA battery currently in the car. The MOPAR battery looks nicer, but it is bigger, heavier, older and dead.. Though it shows no signs of acid leakage..

IMG_3197.jpg IMG_3204.jpg IMG_3205.jpg IMG_3207.jpg IMG_3208.jpg IMG_3209.jpg IMG_3196.jpg IMG_3210.jpg IMG_3211.jpg IMG_3212.jpg

Definitely save it. It's a group 27 battery, like you said, reproduction. There have been other threads on this site explaining how to retrofit modern batteries inside the original appearing case. I can't help with that, but do some searching on here - or someone else will certainly chime in.

Search
Renewing a reproduction battery

Last edited:
I would keep it around and try getting it going again those ain't cheap but at the same time if you don't care it's just a headache and even if you do get it going no garenteed it will last more Then a day week month?
Me personally I rather my car run and drive and look non org then be broken and have to replace it anyways
To a Numbers matching all org hemi car yeah I can see having it.

Hmmm.. So you guys think I should hold on to it, instead of throwing it out with the other waste tomorrow. Maybe I'll keep it a bit longer, and try to do something with it in the fall..

It probably would look nice in my car, which kinda looks factory-ish under the hood. But after sitting so long without use, I'm not counting on it holding a charge and actually working. Need to get the charging system working first, before attempting to resurrect this battery.

IMG_3146.jpg IMG_3145.jpg

I have one like that, I believe you need a deep cycle charger for it. Top caps do not come off!

There are (were) two repops on the market. One is by Turbostart and it’s a AGM and the other weighs much less and is a battery inside the battery. As mentioned you can gut the battery and hide another one inside. If you don’t want to keep it I would at least offer it for sale, someone will want it for a core and repurpose it.

You might be able to get that one back to life, several videos online about getting AGM batteries to respond to charging when completely dead.

I would keep it also. The original type batteries complete the "underhood" look. If you decide to let it go, post it for sale, or Free pick up. I know I would take a ride, within reasonable distance, to get one. I've been looking for an original style Super Stock type, for my '63 MW build, and can't locate any. I'd be happy with an old dead one, for a conversion...

Last edited:
Keep it, trickle charge it. It might take a week or two. If it doesn't come back someone will want it to take apart and replace the cells.

I have one like that, I believe you need a deep cycle charger for it. Top caps do not come off!
Plates are likely shorted from sediment in the battery, and plates likely devoid of lead anyway. Also, the caps unscrew from the top, they are just stuck. That is how the battery acid was put into it, and they are also the vents.

Plates are likely shorted from sediment in the battery, and plates likely devoid of lead anyway. Also, the caps unscrew from the top, they are just stuck. That is how the battery acid was put into it, and they are also the vents.
Probably not a lead acid battery if the caps don't come off. Probably a AGM. Some of the colored cap repops have 2 AGM's inside

There were a group of reproduction Mopar batteries that the caps did not unscrew. I recall them being AGM type and very heavy. The recommended charging method for them was to charge at the 10 amp setting after discharging. Yours is already discharged, so try that or maybe try one of the repurposing threads here to replace the internal cells.

Mine came from "Newcastle Battery Company" back in 1989'ish, so that is my only experience. It still looks like the caps unscrew, just my O-pinion... :thumbsup:

If nothing else save it for trade in core. $15 core charge at least the next you buy a battery. $10 at scrap yard.

IMO...
I believe its a reproduction battery either by New Castle Battery/TurboStart or the other firm in Ohio...can't remember the name. Because the caps do not unscrew, its a "maintenance free" design and if its as old as you think, its not likely an AGM design. However it may be the lead calcium design, like the old Delco maintenance free type.
If its been discharged that long, its very likely that its sulfated...where the lead plates turns into lead sulfate and is not reserectable. There are not individual replaceable cells inside. Some people cut the bottom of the the old battery and slip the empty case over a new battery so the new terminals match the old terminal posts.
Can it be salvaged? I've heard stories about dumping out the acid into a glass tray, refilling the battery half full of water, shake it vigorously, dump out the water and crud, repeat several times then refill with fresh acid, available at auto parts stores, and recharge. For all that effort....is it worth it....not for me....recycle it and buy a new battety...and be assured your car will start when you need it to.
BOB RENTON

A neighbor had a “dead” battery in her daily driver. A battery charger that was attached all night didn’t help. I was asked that morning to bring the battery to Interstate Batteries and pick up a replacement. The Interstate Battery employee checked the voltage and said it was extremely low. He told me that his charging equipment would be able to recharge it, as the battery wasn’t that old. He also said that when a battery voltage get down that low a regular charger won’t work. Well they keep it over night and low & behold it got charged. They did it for free because it was bought there.
My suggestion is check with a store like Interstate or advertise it for sale. Maybe someone local would want it.
I actually made my own replica awhile ago using red letters from Hobby Lobby and red pop caps. It’s a copy from from someone here and a car that was seen at a car show. Cheers, haywire

EC458131-F97A-469D-92DC-BBC265E02284.png 6533D819-CF97-46A9-872A-C3892E08FC00.png 736F78AC-0474-48DD-9D56-1E33C0C128F6.png

I gutted my first repop battery it was a glass mat battery real heavy and the caps did not come off. The one I have now you can remove the caps and see the battery and cables inside. Not nearly the cranking power either.

A freind of mine was at show back east and purchased a empty repop battery.
When flying back west he put the battery in his check in luggage luggage and TSA crapped their pants when came across it. He had to leave it behind.

A freind of mine was at show back east and purchased a empty repop battery.
When flying back west he put the battery in his check in luggage luggage and TSA crapped their pants when came across it. He had to leave it behind.
When I bought this car it came with a Factory Mopar Battery (reproduction I am pretty sure). The previous owner had this battery sitting in his garage unused for 11 years. When I hooked my volt meter up to it, it is only putting out 1/4 of 1 volt, basically a dead battery.

I cleaned all the dust off of it and took some photos. Have no idea how to remove the round red caps. They don't rotate and I don't see how to pry them off.. I have a manual battery charger which is the only type of charger that I believe would have a hope of bringing it back to life.

I have city hazardous waste pick-up coming tomorrow morning to remove old gasoline and coolant from my garage. Should I have them take away this battery too? I suspect it is about 15 to 20 years old.. With the red caps I guess it was meant for a Hemi or 440.. Dimensions are 12"L x 6.75"W x 8"H. It's big and heavy..

Top says: 27-MB-70, CAT NO. 2444607, A-27B. My car was built in Sept 1970.

And a few pics of the 3 year old NAPA battery currently in the car. The MOPAR battery looks nicer, but it is bigger, heavier, older and dead.. Though it shows no signs of acid leakage..

View attachment 975291 View attachment 975294 View attachment 975295 View attachment 975297 View attachment 975299 View attachment 975301 View attachment 975302 View attachment 975303 View attachment 975304 View attachment 975305

I hollowed out a dead factory reproduction battery from the bottom and I use it for shown like Carlisle. It was messy, so wear PPE to avoid exposure to Lead. Work outdoors. I heavy coated what remained with clear paint to encapsulate the remaining Lead hazards. The fake battery is also a great theft deterrent.

Auto Transport Service
Back